Fraternities offer place to stay

Arlene Birt

For students who need a place to live during the summer but do not want to look for an apartment, several campus fraternities have rooms available for rent.

Prices range from $250 to $350 per person for a double room and from $350 to $500 for a single room for the summer.

Board is not included, but renters have access to the fraternities’ kitchens.

Matt Ostanik, chapter president of Triangle fraternity, 125 N. Hyland, said the house stays open during the summer to keep cash flowing so the costs will break even.

“To pay for the cost of utilities and the costs of operating over summer, a certain number of our own members want to stay,” said Ostanik, senior in architecture. “It’s a good living option for people that are looking for that.”

Travis Gavin, treasurer of Sigma Pi, 316 Lynn Ave., said most of the students who stay are sorority members because the sororities close during the summer.

“We have all the rooms available, so it’s just another way to bring in some money and help other people out,” said Gavin, junior in marketing.

Greg Marso, treasurer for Phi Kappa Theta, 2110 Lincoln Way, said it is beneficial to the fraternity to rent rooms.

“I think [all fraternities] pretty much rent out rooms,” said Marso, junior in accounting.

He said Phi Kappa Theta makes about $3,000 during the summer from renting out rooms.

Marso said, apart from being co-ed, renting a fraternity room during the summer is similar to living in residence or greek housing except that students can sleep in the individual rooms rather than the “cold airs,” or rooms where all the members sleep.

Rebecca Soderholm, sophomore in accounting, and Kula Toubekis, junior in early childhood education, both are staying at Sigma Pi fraternity during the summer.

Soderholm said she choose to stay in a fraternity during the summer because it is affordable.

“It’s closest to my current residence and less hassle than an apartment,” she said.

Toubekis agreed that living in a fraternity during the summer is easier than going apartment-hunting.

“It’s cheaper and more convenient being closer to campus,” she said.

However, Toubekis said one setback is that she will be eating out a lot because she does not cook.

Fraternities closing for the summer are Delta Sigma Phi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon.