Seventeen magazine strikes Ames High

Jocelyn Marcus

Seventeen magazine profiles a different high school each month for its “School Zone” feature, and the July issue will profile Ames High School.

The magazine visited AHS on April 7 and 8 and attended prom at the Scheman Building April 10 to photograph and speak with students.

Sarah Hansen, junior at AHS, was interviewed and photographed by magazine crew members while she was at prom. She said they talked to her because they liked her dress.

“They wanted to know where I got it and where I got my jewelry,” she said.

Unlike some students who pursued the magazine crew members, Hansen said she was confronted by the crew in the restroom.

“I thought it was funny how they were crouched by the bathroom mirrors ready to attack when you walked in to relieve yourself,” she said.

Steven Diesburg, freshman at AHS, also was photographed by magazine crew members.

Seventeen explained to Diesburg why they chose to visit AHS, he said.

“They said it was because of our extra-curricular activities and because it was in a college town, so it was better than a lot of other Iowa schools,” Diesburg said.

Melanie Hafermann, junior at AHS, said she approached the Seventeen crew to ask why they had chosen Ames High.

“They looked at the schools in Iowa … and said that our school stood out from others academically and extra-curricularly,” she said.

The magazine photographed Hafermann and asked her questions, she said.

“They asked me about how easy it is to start clubs; they asked me what I want people to know about Ames. Then they asked me things about what kinds of clothes I wear and what my friends and I like to do on weekends,” she said.

Hafermann said she doesn’t think her responses or pictures will appear in the magazine.

“I kind of doubt it because they took so many pictures of so many people. I can’t say they would be so interested in putting my picture in there,” she said.

Luke Pool, junior at AHS, also was approached by magazine crew members. He said he thinks his picture probably will be published.

“I think they were looking for people who didn’t fit in, and I think they [also] were looking for people who did fit in — and I fit in really well,” he said. “I think I’m really representative of people from our school.”

Pool said the magazine crew members were very nice.

“They didn’t come off as snobs or anything,” he said. “They were really down to earth.”

Hansen said a lot of people in Iowa will want to purchase the July issue of Seventeen.

“I think the stores will have to stock up on the magazines because they’ll be gone,” she said.