Profs miss famed filmer

Jocelyn Marcus

“Eyes Wide Shut,” “The Shining,” “A Clockwork Orange” and “2001.”

These are but a few of the many movies the late Stanley Kubrick directed.

Kubrick died Sunday at the age of 70, and some professors at Iowa State are left wanting more of the director’s innovative work.

“I think along with anybody who takes film seriously, I was greatly saddened [by Kubrick’s death],” said English professor Loring Silet, who teaches film and pop culture courses.

Silet characterized Kubrick’s work as interesting and always challenging.

“He managed to push the edge of film-making farther with each one of them,” he said.

Hamilton Cravens, professor of history, also was upset to hear of the director’s death. He said Kubrick was one of the most powerful directors in film history.

“I have recently seen ‘Saving Private Ryan,’ directed by Steven Spielberg, and it was vastly inferior to some of Kubrick’s anti-war films,” said Cravens, mentioning “Dr. Strangelove” and “What Price Glory” as examples.

Silet said he also thought Kubrick’s films have made an impact on people.

“I don’t know anybody who has seen Kubrick’s films that doesn’t remember them,” he said.

Victor Campano, graduate student and instructor of history, said he enjoyed the director’s style.

“Each film he made, it was obvious you were watching a Kubrick film,” he said.

Campano said he thought Kubrick was very meticulous with each of his movies.

“Even if you don’t like the film, you can tell that a lot of work went into it, so you’re never disappointed,” he said.

Silet had a difficult time choosing a favorite of the late director’s movies.

“I think all of his films … were always intelligently done and were always extremely engaging to the audience,” he said.

Silet described how Kubrick has been able to make every genre he has dabbled in his own.

“He did a large-scale spectacle in ‘Spartacus,'” he said. “But it was much more political [than other spectacle films].

“In ‘2001,’ he took the science-fiction film and gave it the sort of resonance and depth we don’t expect from a science-fiction film,” he said.

Silet also is anticipating the upcoming release of “Eyes Wide Shut,” starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. It is Kubrick’s final movie.

“Obviously, it’s going to attract attention because it was his last film, and I think it’s fitting that Kubrick had been working right up to the end,” he said.

Campano said he wishes Kubrick would have been able to finish the movie he had been working on, “A.I.” [Artificial Intelligence], his first science-fiction film since the ground-breaking “2001.”

“I think that the world of movie-making is a little bit poorer because of his death,” he said.