Athletes read to elementary students

Jocelyn Marcus

Instead of practicing plays, 24 Iowa State student athletes worked on their reading techniques Tuesday by reading books via the Iowa Communications Network (ICN) to nearly 3,000 schoolchildren located in classrooms across the state for “Read Across America Day.”

Classrooms full of Iowa second- and third-graders dotted the television screens as the athletes read and fielded questions about diverse topics such as reading, weather, sports, boyfriends and girlfriends.

Athletes were spread out at four locations in Story County and read twice in one-hour sessions.

Kelli More, junior in exercise science, read a book called “D.W.’s Split,” which dealt with a sport she is familiar with — gymnastics. More is a member of ISU’s gymnastics team.

“Read Across America Day” was very beneficial to the children, she said. More said she participated in the program hoping “to make somebody’s day.”

Tom Kroeschell, director of media relations for ISU’s Athletic Department, said ICN provided a forum for two-way feedback.

“This goes a step further than television, where you can be read to, but you can’t talk with anybody that you’d be reading to,” he said. “And this allows us to have some fun. I think the student athletes really enjoy it.”

He said the athletes did a good job answering the variety of questions posed by inquiring students.

“You’ve got to remember that everybody’s college life is different, and it’s totally spontaneous,” Kroeschell said. “You never know what questions [the athletes] are going to be asked.”

Thea Hoeg, diver and sophomore in biology, said the question-and-answer session was her favorite part of the program.

Hoeg said she was pleased that the “Read Across America Day” program allowed the children to get to know athletes on more of a personal basis.

“I think the kids’ personalities really came out,” she said.

Dustin Avey, football player and junior in finance, said the purpose of the program was “to get kids interested in reading.”

“It shows them that it’s a good thing to read, and [they should] start reading at an early age,” he said.

Jana Peterson, member of the track and cross country teams and senior in genetics, agreed that the program gave athletes the chance to have a positive influence on children.

“I think community outreach for the athletes is really important, especially with the younger kids because they look up to us … and a lot of them want to participate in athletics in college,” she said.

While most of the questions the second- and third-graders asked were fairly basic, a few caught the athletes off guard.

One student asked Hoeg if she had won an Olympic gold medal.

“No,” she said after a chuckle. “But I do travel, and last meet we went up against a girl who is going to [compete in] the Olympics, so it was really fun to watch.”

“When do you have time to read?” another child asked her.

“Whenever you get the chance — maybe really late at night after you’re done studying,” Hoeg said.