Online dating blossoms at Iowa State

Jocelyn Marcus

Two Iowa State students have created an online dating forum for ISU students, and they swear it’s not for the desperate.

Nathan Cline, junior in dairy science, and Tim Shanks, junior in agricultural systems technology, started the service last November “to help [students] find an easier way to find that special someone,” Shanks said.

Shanks said 38 people have registered for the service.

“Basically, it’s a mailing list and a chat room to give people the opportunity to post information about themselves,” Cline said. “We’re also trying to keep discussion going about what people look for in the ideal relationship.”

Participants in the service are not required to give out their names or personal information to join the list, Cline said.

ISU students expressed mixed reactions about taking to the Web to find dates.

“[Dating services] don’t work because you don’t really know what you’re getting into,” said Don Johnson, sophomore in accounting.

When Emily Olson, senior in marketing, thinks of dating services, “The word ‘desperate’ comes to mind,” she said.

Josh Edwards, freshman in community and regional planning, agreed.

“I usually think that they’re kind of like a last resort kind of thing,” he said.

Shanks said he was not surprised by these comments.

“My opinion is … go for it, just don’t rely on it too much,” he said.

Cline said the service is convenient and easily accessible.

“It could be a good opportunity for people to meet other people they might not otherwise meet on campus,” he said. “Plus it’s an alternative to going to the bars.”

Shanks said the dating service has added to his social circle of friends.

“I met a few people and became good friends with them,” he said.

The dating service is located at www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/4778/isudatingservice.htm.