Rock Veishea snags Goo Goo Dolls

Kristin Guiter

The Veishea entertainment committee announced Sunday that this year’s Rock Veishea will be headlined by the Grammy-nominated Goo Goo Dolls and that people other than the “Cyclone Family” will be allowed to attend.

The New Radicals will be the special guest band, and the opening act is yet to be determined.

Entertainment plans were recently finalized, said Matt Schaefer, Veishea entertainment committee co-chairman.

“We are really excited about the concerts we have lined up,” said Schaefer, junior in agricultural business. “The bands will appeal to a diverse audience — these are some really hot bands.”

The bands performing are the “cream of the crop when it comes to alternative bands,” said Corey Moss, music coordinator for the Veishea entertainment committee.

“Ames hasn’t had a band of this genre for a long time,” said Moss, senior in journalism and mass communication.

Moss also said the headliner is appropriate for the Iowa State community.

“The Goo Goo Dolls are experienced with college crowds — it will be a good show,” Moss said.

The committee members also announced that the ticket policy will be different this year.

During last year’s Veishea, only members of the “Cyclone Family,” Iowa State students, faculty staff, alumni and members of the Ames community, were allowed to attend the events. This year, each student is allowed to bring one guest.

Justin Wilhelm, Veishea entertainment committee co-chairman, said this new system will be an improvement.

“It’s not going to be too restrictive that [students] can’t enjoy it,” said Wilhelm, junior in mechanical engineering. “There was a lot of ambiguity last year; this year it’s a much more cut-and-dry, black-and-white system.”

Tickets will be on sale from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday, for Iowa State students only.

Each student is entitled to purchase one ticket for $7.50. Each student also is allowed to buy one guest ticket for $15.

Students can stand in line for tickets at 10 a.m. Saturday morning at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office located in Stephens Auditorium.

Students are required to have their ISUCards and fee cards in order to purchase tickets.

“On Monday, March 1, the tickets will go on sale to faculty and staff, alumni and Ames residents,” Wilhelm said. “Students get the first chance to get tickets.”

ISU alumni and faculty and staff can purchase two guest tickets by presenting “valid identification.” Ames residents may purchase one guest ticket by showing identification.

Guests must be escorted by an ISU student to gain access to the facility.

Rock Veishea Center Stage performances will begin at 9 p.m. April 16 at Hilton Coliseum.