SCS plans week of heightened self-image

Melissa Berg

Student Counseling Service is sponsoring Eating Disorders Awareness Week this week to increase the Iowa State community’s awareness of the dangers of eating disorders.

The theme of Eating Disorders Awareness Week is “To Help a Friend with Body Image and Eating Concerns.”

H. Brooks Morse, eating disorder services coordinator, said there is a need for programs such as Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

“At Iowa State, we see and hear from many friends and family members who are very concerned about a student’s eating problem and want to know how to help them,” she said.

Morse said the purpose of the awareness week is to “educate our society and increase overall awareness of eating disorders.”

“Talking to a loved one about your concerns or giving them one of our brochures can be one step in taking action to help your friend,” she said.

Heidi Peterson, dietitian at the Student Wellness Center, said Eating Disorders Awareness Week is intended to educate students about eating disorders.

“At the Wellness Center, we help students learn about intuitive eating, which is listening to our body’s signals,” she said. “We educate them about food itself and what is healthful eating and help them to get back on a healthy eating routine.”

The awareness week also is designed to diminish stereotypes and myths.

“Eating disorders are often associated with extremely thin individuals,” Morse said. “That is a false stereotype many people have. There are many medium and large-sized women with eating disorders as well.”

Some of the scheduled events for the week include:

• A display table will be set up in the Memorial Union Food Court titled “Mirror, Mirror on the Wall.” Information also will be available at the west booth in the Memorial Union Wednesday, from noon to 5 p.m., and at the south table Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Pi Beta Phi sorority is sponsoring the “How to Like Your Body” program for its members Wednesday evening from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in Molecular Biology 1414 Auditorium.
  • The “How to Help a Friend with Body Image and Eating Concerns” program is being sponsored by the Union Drive Association Student Government. It will be held Thursday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in Chessman Lounge of Helser Hall.