Vision 2020 refocuses higher ed

Michelle Kann

As part of a new program called Vision 2020, Iowa State faculty and professors across Iowa are working to influence change in higher education.

The program has three objectives: collaborating with community colleges to provide seamless education; partnering with business, industry, government and communities; and creating a learner-centered education, according to Roger Swafford, program coordinator for Vision 2020.

Ann Schultz, program coordinator, said Vision 2020 makes people rethink their involvement in higher education.

The program is busy preparing for the Vision 2020 Community College Bus Tour to be held Feb. 11 and 12. The idea came from the Vision 2020 steering committee, Swafford said.

The steering committee is composed of 30 members: nine ISU faculty members, four faculty members from community colleges, four students and 13 food systems professionals. Together they act as the advisory board and meet twice a year, he said.

“We are excited about the broad spectrum of institutions represented on this trip,” he said.

Representatives from ISU, the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa, the Iowa Department of Education, Indian Hills Community College, Marshalltown Community College, Iowa Lakes Community College, Emmetsburg Community Schools, the Lakeland Area Education Agency and a business consultant from Des Moines are involved in Vision 2020.

“This bus trip will complete the visits to all 15 of Iowa’s community colleges,” Swafford said. “One of our tour sites, Iowa Lakes Community College, is sending nine of its faculty to tour the other two community colleges.”

He said the program was started in the fall of 1996 to provide opportunities for ISU faculty to see the campuses and visit with community colleges about joint interests and projects.

“We love getting stakeholder decision-makers together to encourage constructive thought and ultimately action on issues they see impacting higher education, and exploring ways that these challenges can be addressed through collaboration with other interested parties,” Swafford said.

He said he believes this program will help education as a whole.

“Our main objective is to encourage dialogue between and among administrators and faculty and other interest in higher education,” he said.

Schultz said the program is for people who want to make a difference and provides opportunities to think about community, community colleges and actively involving students in education.

“Vision 2020 challenges ISU faculty to think outside the box,” she said.

Swafford said one important topic includes enhancing and increasing ease of credit transfer from community colleges to four-year colleges.

“Amazing and often unpredictable things happen when people get together one on one,” Swafford said.

He said networking between faculty can benefit future curriculum development. Through Vision 2020, he said networking has been enhanced between community colleges and four-year universities.

“We are always amazed at the other unexpected outcomes that occur, some of which we hear about, and many more that we don’t even know,” he said.

Vision 2020 is not a faculty-only program, Swafford said. Students also can get involved.

“There are numerous opportunities for faculty and students alike, and we encourage participation on all levels,” he said.

Students hold positions such as steering committee members and are involved with about 37 projects and partnerships. Swafford said they organize and meet regularly on the ISU campus.