Sick students see long wait at SHC

Elizabeth Roberts

The flu season has hit Iowa State, and the Student Health Center is reporting an increase in the number of students needing care.

“The influenza picked up starting last Saturday, and we’ve been seeing a significant amount of cases,” said Mark Blaedel, interim director of the Student Health Center.

Although the number of cases of influenza have increased, Blaedel said he has not seen an increase in the “backdrop illnesses,” such as the stomach flu, mononucleosis and bronchitis.

“I don’t believe our backdrop counts have changed,” he said.

Since there has been an influx of students seeking medical attention, Blaedel said prospective patients should try to get appointments early.

“We have most of our providers on appointments,” he said. “You’ll have to wait the least if you can make an appointment.”

Blaedel said the center has been so busy that most of the appointments are gone by 9 a.m. or 10 a.m.

Diane Smith, clerk at the Student Health Center, said same-day appointments usually are available.

“The earlier you come in, the better,” she said.

Blaedel said the waiting times are longest around lunchtime and 4 p.m. or 5 p.m., when classes are ending.

“We’re having some pretty significant waits these days,” he said. “It’s quietest at around 8 in the morning, when nobody wants to get up. You’ll generally have less of a wait then.”

Blaedel said if a person with flu symptoms comes in within 72 hours of onset, there is an anti-viral medication called amantadine that can be prescribed.

The flu has a rapid onset with a significant fever, usually 101 degrees or more, accompanied by headaches, coughing and body aches, Blaedel said. A cold has a slower onset and a lower fever with a runny nose, sore throat and cough.

Blaedel said it is important to distinguish between influenza symptoms and a common cold because there are no medications for a cold.

Places where the flu is spread easily are in the dorms, classes and bars because there are many people in close contact with one another, he said.

“If you’re sick, you ought to try to isolate yourself from the crowd,” he said.

Blaedel also said sneezing and coughing into a handkerchief, washing hands frequently and washing glasses and utensils helps prevent the spread of the flu.

The Student Health Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon.

If a student needs medical attention and the Student Health Center is not open, there is after-hours care at an additional cost. After-hours care times are 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and noon to 10 p.m. on weekends.