ISU fraternities urged to hit the books on getting members

Jennifer Spencer

Fewer men are joining fraternities at Iowa State, but chapter members say they continue to have success selling the brotherhood and academic advantages of their houses.

As of fall 1998, 13 percent of ISU men, 1,535 students, were members of one of ISU’s 29 fraternities. That represents a 1 percent decrease from fall 1997, when 1,478 men were members of 30 chapters.

In fall 1996, 1,604 students, or 15 percent of ISU men, were fraternity members.

Brian Tenclinger, coordinator of Greek Affairs, characterized the decrease in numbers as “very small” and said he thought the decrease was uniform across all chapters of ISU’s greek system.

Although the numbers are down somewhat, Tenclinger said most chapters are experiencing relatively successful recruitment.

“Those that have [had difficulty with recruitment] are probably due to a lack of motivation within the chapter to promote the fraternity to the men at ISU,” he said.

Tenclinger said many of his colleagues working with greek systems across the nation have reported similar drops in fraternity membership.

Changes in the needs of students may be partially responsible for the decline.

“Today’s students want privacy, computer access and academically-based environments,” he said. “Some of our fraternities have really paid attention to that.”

Eric Bidwell, president of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, 224 Ash Ave., said his chapter has responded to the wants of potential members by providing a strong academic environment and installing a new computer network in the chapter house.

“We make sure when students come here for Rush that we do take them through campus and make them aware of the opportunities,” said Bidwell, junior in agricultural studies.

Bidwell said Tau Kappa Epsilon experienced a small decrease in new initiates this year, but the drop was at the same level as most chapters.

Alpha Sigma Phi, one of ISU’s five substance-free fraternities, experienced a large increase in new members this year.

Chapter President Jason Farmer attributed the success to increased efforts in summer Rush.

“We had some fantastic programs going on over the summertime that draw people in,” said Farmer, junior in computer engineering. “Once they come and experience things like golf outings, then we can share with them the lifelong friendships that are formed and the scholarship and service emphasis that we have here.”

Alpha Sigma Phi, 305 Lynn Ave., gained 14 new members between summer and semester Rush in 1998, up from about six new members in 1997, he said.

Farmer said he thought some members were attracted to the house because it is substance-free, but he credited the membership increase to the people of Alpha Sigma Phi.

Tenclinger said he did not believe that substance-free housing has affected the overall chapter numbers in the five houses.

The success of future Rushes will depend on the ability of the greek system to meet the needs of students, he said.

“If you’re selling a product, you have to know your audience,” he said. “I think some of our chapters have a lot of homework to do.”