Libertarians offer political experience

Andrea Hauser

Students interested in becoming politically active at Iowa State have another way to become involved through the ISU Libertarians, a new student organization.

The group started up again at ISU last fall.

David M. Davis, president of the ISU Libertarians and graduate student in liberal arts and sciences, said the Libertarian party offers a different sort of political ideology for its members.

“We’re not your parents’ political party,” he said. “We have different ideas for problems we’re facing in the United States.”

Davis said the Libertarian party believes in a strict interpretation of the Bill of Rights and U.S. Constitution and “the government that governs best governs least.”

The Libertarian party is the third-largest political organization in the United States, said Eric Cooper, assistant professor in psychology and adviser for ISU Libertarians.

“[The Libertarian party] will introduce students to a political organization not shown in the mainstream media,” he said.

Cooper also said while the group had a table set up at ClubFest, many of the students they talked to were not familiar enough with the Libertarian party’s platform to feel comfortable joining the group.

“There are a lot of Libertarians out there that don’t realize it,” he said.

There currently are only two students in ISU Libertarians, Davis said.

Davis said the group is working to attract students to its meetings so that they become more informed about Libertarian Party issues.

Cooper said the group also is planning an activity for April 15, which is the federal tax deadline.

Since Libertarians do not believe people should pay taxes, Cooper said the group hopes students will be interested in learning more about the party’s platform when taxes are affecting them the most.

Davis said students interested in joining the organization are welcome to attend the first meeting on March 4 at 7 p.m. He said the meeting will be held in Room 248 of the Memorial Union, and a movie about Libertarian ideals will be shown.