Veishea Committee, IRHA plan strategies to increase attendance

Kristin Guiter

Plans and preparations for Veishea 1999 are underway, and student leaders and organizations are progressing toward the celebration with several goals in mind.

Veishea Central Committee Co-Chairman Scott Desotel said in a written statement, which was co-authored by Co-Chairwoman Aimee Lee, senior in public service administration in agriculture, that one of the main goals of Veishea 1999 “is to increase student participation from all living areas within the university.”

Students living in the residence halls, greek system or off-campus are invited to become involved, Desotel said.

“We want all ISU students to feel that they have a connection with Veishea and are free to share their ideas on how to make Veishea 1999 a safe and entertaining event,” said Desotel, senior in agricultural business.

Currently, students can apply for positions as Veishea Aides, Parade Aides, Stars Over Veishea Aides, Peer Security and Party Response Team members.

Veishea officials say participation and support seem to be high this year among the greek community and the Inter-Residence Hall Association.

“IRHA is very much in support of Veishea and is very much behind all those working so hard to make it happen,” said IRHA President Ben Chamberlain.

“We hope to do our part to contribute to the success of Veishea,” he said.

IRHA has been discussing the possibility of the three residence associations combining personnel and financial resources toward Tower Residence Association’s “exTRAvaganza,” Chamberlain said.

Chamberlain said IRHA is considering other activities, such as a party on Clyde Williams Field and dances that would take place during the Veishea weekend.

Panhellenic Council President Laura Cripple said Panhel has a goal to be proactive in its education strategies during Veishea and in the remaining time leading up to the celebration.

“We will be assisting each chapter in creating a concrete plan for the weekend, incorporating attendance of Veishea-sponsored events and risk management strategies for the chapter dwelling and the chapter members,” said Cripple, senior in sociology.

The InterFraternity Council’s strategy also includes “extensive education for all the chapters on Veishea policy beforehand,” said IFC President Adam Oris.

“Presently, we are setting up dates for educational programming for all the greek chapters on Veishea policy,” said Oris, senior in psychology.

The IFC also is supporting the Veishea Central Committee by standing behind the pledge for a dry Veishea 100 percent, he said.

Increasing attendance at the weekend events is a common goal of everyone involved in planning for Veishea.

To help with this, the greek community will be working to encourage its members to stay in Ames during Veishea weekend, Cripple said.

“Several chapters have already taken steps to alleviate this by planning Parent’s Weekend during Veishea,” she said.

IRHA representatives hope that by providing better entertainment and by trying to get residents to take more of an “ownership” attitude in Veishea, attendance will rise, Chamberlain said.

“We would really like to see more of our residents stick around for the weekend,” Chamberlain said.