More students reach out via cell phone

Ben Godar

More students are making the decision to stay in touch all the time, and cellular phones are becoming the medium of choice.

The market for cell phones, particularly among young people, has been growing in recent years, said Tim Malone, president of The Wireless Store, 2812 West St.

“Five years or so ago you never saw a young person with a cell phone,” he said. “I think the need to keep in touch has become a bigger need for everyone.”

Malone said students are among the most educated shoppers who come into his store. He also said young people do not have as many hang-ups about buying a cell phone.

“A lot of [older] people feel guilty about getting a cell phone,” he said. “Ten years ago, people viewed it as a luxury.”

Many students with cell phones said they have them as a safety precaution.

“I only basically use it when I’m going home or on a significant car trip,” said Maria McKean, sophomore in dietetics and cell phone owner.

McKean said her parents bought the cell phone for her because they got a good deal for owning more than one phone in one family.

“If I had to pay for it, I probably wouldn’t have it,” she said.

Shawn Mohr, sophomore in management information systems, said he got a cell phone under similar circumstances.

“My parents wanted me to get one so I’d have it on trips to and from school,” he said. “I’ve never been put in a situation where I’ve had to use it, but it’s nice to have just in case.”

John Jensen, manager of Spring Valley Communications in North Grand Mall, said buying a cell phone for emergencies is common among college students.

“Lots of [students] drive back and forth across the state,” he said. “Most of the students get the cheapest plan and say it’s only for emergencies.”

Malone said the strength of the economy coupled with the dropping cost of the phones has sparked more cell phone buyers.

“They continue to become more affordable as household incomes continue to go up,” he said. “Phones are drastically improved in quality and have drastically dropped in price.”

Malone said the U S West strike this fall also helped push quite a few students into buying cell phones.

Jensen said Spring Valley Communications experienced a similar boost in sales.

“The week before school started we were swamped,” he said. “Most of [our customers] were college students.”

And the future of cellular phones will continue to be bright, Malone said.

“Prices will drop, and equipment will get better,” he said. “It’s going to get to be more and more exciting.”