Journalism school helps give new hope for Ethos

Kate Kompas

When two top editors and the creative director of Ethos resigned in November, the future of the student-run magazine was in doubt.

However, new staff now is being formed, and at least one issue of Ethos will be published this semester, said Marcia Prior-Miller, business adviser for Ethos.

“In publishing that one spring issue … it will give students experience, and some leaderships will emerge from it,” said Prior-Miller, associate professor in journalism and mass communication. “We’re not disbanded.”

Prior-Miller said a meeting was held for new staff members Tuesday, and about 24 students attended to express their interests. She also said about 15 more students have said they would like to work for the magazine.

“The list is still growing of people who are interested in being active on the magazine,” Prior-Miller said.

Prior-Miller said the future of the 51-year-old magazine was in question shortly before Christmas. She said some members of the Ethos Publication Board thought it would be wise for Ethos to take the spring semester off, but the Greenlee School of Journalism and Mass Communication agreed to fund faculty member Angela Renkoski time to continue serving as Ethos’ editorial adviser.

John Eighmey, chairman of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said the journalism school has restructured Ethos so it is similar to an independent study course.

Under the direction of Renkoski, students will receive credit for their participation, Eighmey said. He stressed that employment at Ethos is still open to all students.

“I think this is a wonderful exploratory opportunity,” he said.

As of yet, it is not known who will fill the editor position and if more than one issue of Ethos will be printed this semester.