Online book buying gains popularity

Kristin Guiter

Flyers publicizing online textbook companies have been widely dispersed throughout the Iowa State campus lately.

This semester, ISU students seem to be considering online methods of purchasing textbooks as an alternative to fighting crowds in the bookstores.

Jodi Gershoni, communications director at VarsityBooks.com, an online textbook marketer, said ISU is the second top purchaser of online books out of the 80 colleges nationwide that VarsityBooks.com markets to.

“I am very excited to offer our services to ISU, one of the top two universities at our company,” Gershoni said.

VarsityBooks was incorporated in December 1997, and the Web site went online last August, she said.

“We began with marketing to five of the largest schools in the [Washington] D.C. area, and in one year, we spread through all 50 states,” she said.

The Web sites of VarsityBooks’ and Bigwords’, another online textbook store, promise students lower prices, quick delivery and inexpensive shipping and handling rates.

“Our goal is to help students … find what they are looking for at a low price,” Gershoni said.

Many students agree going to the bookstore each semester is a big stressor.

Kevin Kruck, sophomore in mechanical engineering, intends to buy his books online next semester.

“One of my friends ordered his books online and got a great deal,” he said.

Many students foresee the online services rising in popularity.

Jason Liberman, junior in pre-veterinary medicine, said, “Look at how much is available online now. Things can be bought at a cheaper price than at the store.”

VarsityBooks allows students to search its site by entering a books’ author, title, ISBN number, keyword, professor or course name into the “Mega Search” field.

“We have installed the ‘Mega Search’ Engine on the Web page, so students can enjoy the savings and convenience when the book pops up,” Gershoni said.

Students must have a major credit card to purchase books from the VarsityBooks.

The company has no cash or check payment method established yet, the Web page stated.

According to VarsityBooks’ and Bigwords’ Web sites, books may be returned within 30 days for a full refund.

For some students, shipping and handling costs are a major drawback of purchasing online goods.

“I’d rather go buy my books at the bookstore than hassle with paying shipping and handling costs,” said Lori Schmitz, junior in environmental science.

VarsityBooks offers three shipping and handling alternatives. General shipping through United Parcel Service within two to three business days costs $4.95, regardless of the size or price of the shipment.

Overnight delivery is $17.95 and two-day air costs $9.95.

According to its Web page, Bigwords offers free shipping and handling to customers.

When ordering from Bigwords, students can choose whether they want to purchase only new books, only used or used if they are available. VarsityBooks only carries new books.