Arthritis not only strikes old, young live with pain

Ben Godar

Editor’s Note: This is the last part of a three-part series on Iowa State students living with medical conditions. Today’s story examines arthritis and its effects on ISU students with the disease. Tuesday’s story analyzed asthma, and Wednesday’s discussed diabetes.

Although people commonly associate arthritis with the elderly, the disease can strike anyone.

Jessica Kearney, senior in journalism and mass communication, has been dealing with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) for almost eight years.

“When [arthritis] flares up, your joints swell and there’s lots of pain,” Kearney said.

According to the Arthritis Foundation’s Web site, www.arthritis.org, nearly 43 million Americans have the disease. Almost 285,000 of those cases are children.

The site describes arthritis as an all-encompassing term that refers to more than 100 different diseases that cause pain, swelling and limited movement in joints and connective tissue throughout the body. It usually is chronic.

The three most prevalent forms are osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.

Osteoarthritis may occur when the cartilage covering the end of bones in the joint deteriorates, causing pain and loss of movement as bone begins to rub against bone.

In fibromyalgia, widespread pain affects the muscles and attachments to the bone.

In rheumatoid arthritis, the joint lining becomes inflamed as part of the body’s immune system activity. The chronic inflammation causes deterioration of the joint, resulting in pain and limited movement.

Kearney said an arthritis flare-up can be induced by many stimuli.

“Whenever the weather changes, it flares up,” Kearney said, “but it always seems to be worse in winter. Stress is a major factor.

“If I spend a lot of time walking, certain joints in my leg might flare up. If I fall and hit my knees, it can cause the joint to swell,” she said.

Joyce Packwood, program coordinator for Disability Resources, said many students may be trying to deal with arthritis on their own.

“People don’t come in [for assistance] as often as you might think,” Packwood said. “People don’t understand that you don’t see arthritis.

“Until joints start to get disfigured people don’t realize it’s there,” she said.

There is no cure for arthritis to date. Even with the best treatments, flare-ups still occur.

Kearney has undergone a variety of different treatments over the years. Currently, she takes three different medications every day.

“I started out taking certain drugs, but eventually your body doesn’t respond anymore so you have to switch,” Kearney said. “Once a month I have to have blood tests to make sure there is no organ damage [from the medication] and eye tests to make sure there has been no eye damage.”

Exercise is another important part of Kearney’s daily regimen.

“I have exercises I do in the morning. The morning is usually the time when your joints are the most stiff and painful,” she said.

Since each case is different, Packwood said arthritis should be treated on a case-by-case basis. She also offered ways students can cope with discomfort caused by the disease.

“If [the arthritis] affects being able to carry books, we suggest buying one of those luggage trailers like stewardesses use,” Packwood said.

Getting around campus sometimes is difficult for Kearney.

“I have a handicapped parking permit because it’s difficult for me to walk across campus,” Kearney said. “If I’m having a bad day I take the elevator.

Packwood said Disability Resources will work with arthritic students to make the physical demands of student life more bearable.

In conjunction with the Department of Public Safety, the center seeks to provide handicapped parking to those who need it. If necessary, classes may be arranged so a student will not have to climb stairs.

Kearney told those struggling with arthritis to remain optimistic.

“Don’t let it control your life,” she said. “Try to do the things you can do. Keep a positive attitude.”