Finding out ‘who you know’

Andrea Hauser

Networking doesn’t just apply to computer systems — it also is a way for students to make connections with potential employers.

Despite the negative connotations that often accompany phrases such as “kissing up” and “schmoozing,” the idea that knowing certain people can open certain doors is one that often rings true.

Beverly Madden, director of ISU Career Services, said networking is an important part of finding employment before and after graduation.

“Employers rely on employee referrals as the third best way to find new employees,” she said.

Maureen Deisinger, undergraduate adviser for the journalism and mass communication program, agreed that networking is a common avenue to employment.

“[Networking is] probably one of the most important things [when seeking employment]; it’s an even more important part in internships,” she said.

Both Madden and Deisinger said meeting professionals in students’ fields of interest is fairly easy. They both recommended becoming involved in pre-professional clubs and organizations around campus.

Deisinger said this is a great way to meet potential employers and upperclassmen who already have some experience in the field.

Madden said talking to relatives and friends who are already in the field or who know people in the field also can be beneficial to students seeking employment.

Deisinger warned that students who are trying to meet people they don’t already know need to make sure they make a good connection.

“If you’re trying to break in with someone that you don’t really know, be persistent, but not a pest,” she said. “Be respectful of their schedule.”

Joel Oswald, freshman in political science and business management and an intern in the Iowa Senate, said showing genuine enthusiasm for what is involved and being willing to dedicate extra time also helps in making a positive connection.

“If you volunteer time and not expect any reward, you will be rewarded,” he said.

Another important aspect of making connections is keeping them after the job has been obtained, Madden said.

“It often helps to share a copy of your r‚sum‚ with them, to write thank-you notes when they have been particularly helpful,” she said. “Certainly when you accept a job, notify [the people that helped you get the job] and thank them for their help.”

Karmen Stratton, sophomore in zoology, said networking worked for her.

“The majority of my jobs came from knowing someone who knows someone,” she said.