Student creates concept musical

Ben Godar

What do you get when you mix Iowa State students, showtunes and the ghost of a dead professor?

“Bravo Broadway,” a musical revue featuring songs from 12 contemporary musicals being performed this weekend in the Music Recital Hall.

The show is the brainchild of Adam Simmons, senior in performing arts. Simmons is graduating this semester and is glad to finally be doing the project.

“This show has been two years now in my head,” Simmons said. “I’ve been very busy with other shows, but I always wanted to direct. I finally stopped procrastinating and did it this semester.”

When selecting the music for the show, Simmons chose many songs from newer or lesser known musicals. These included: “Big,” “Passion” and “Chess,” in addition to more familiar shows like “Phantom of the Opera,” “Les Miserables” and “Jesus Christ Superstar.”

“I wanted to do a revue that wasn’t traditional music,” Simmons said. “I wanted to do recent music, a concept musical.

“[It’s] a soap operatic love story that’s sung,” Simmons said. “It’s like a soap opera music revue. It’s really cheesy, so cheesy.”

Although the songs are from a variety of shows, Simmons wrote a story that connects them all.

The story involves the ghost of former professor Frederica Shattuck, who is rumored to haunt Fisher Theater.

“Frederica goes to New York, and she and the Phantom of the Opera fall in love,” Simmons said. “She drugs him and brings him back here, the drugs wear off and he runs away from her. The whole show is her chasing Chuck; that’s the Phantom’s name. All the songs are memories of songs they saw while haunting theaters together.”

Although rehearsal time has been limited, Simmons is satisfied with where the show has gotten.

“We had trouble getting here,” Simmons said. “People had other rehearsals and shows, but everything is going wonderful.”

“Bravo Broadway” features a cast of 14, made up of students and one staff member.

One of the students who will be performing in “Bravo Broadway” is Josh Bryner, senior in math and performing arts.

“We’ve done [musical revues] before, but this is the first time we’ve had one run by a student,” Bryner said. “[It] makes it much more of a collaborative effort. Each of us has a greater voice in it than before.”

Sean Kehoe, junior in performing arts and political science, said “Bravo Broadway” has offered him an opportunity to perform music he wouldn’t have been able to otherwise.

“I’m doing two duets that I really like listening to,” Kehoe said. “Both are from newer musicals, ‘Ragtime’ and ‘Titanic.'”

Although he said it’s taken a lot of time, Kehoe is enjoying his experience.

“It’s fun more than anything,” Kehoe said. “Everybody at rehearsal, we all know each other. Even if there’s not a lot of time for rehearsals, we still enjoy performing with each other.”

“Bravo Broadway” will take place Friday and Saturday, at 7:30 p.m. The show is free.