Kwanzaa celebrates unity

Kate Kompas

A celebration of “unity and love” drew about 250 community members to enjoy gospel music, spoken word poetry, theater skits and dance.

The Kwanzaa celebration centered around the seven principles of Kwanzaa: umoja (unity), kujichagulia (self-determination), ujima (collective work and responsibility), ujamaa (cooperative economics), nia (purpose), kuumba (creativity) and imani (faith.)

The celebration was produced by the Black Renaissance Movement, Minority Theatre Workshop, New Beginnings Gospel Choir and Renaissance Dance Company.

Rufus Lacy, Jr., member of the Directors Board for the celebration and sophomore in interior design, said Kwanzaa is important because it is a tool for teaching unity.

“It’s about knowing our history and knowing other people’s history,” he said, stressing that unity is crucial because “if we separate, there’s more chaos.”

During the program, members of the audience clapped, shouted words of encouragement and jumped to their feet in approval.

Geovanti Stewart, director of the New Beginnings Gospel Choir and junior in mechanical engineering, called the crowd reaction “excellent.” Seeing such support from the community, Stewart said, “is the kind of thing that keeps people going.”

Daron Richardson, member of the Directors Board, hosted the event. He admitted being nervous at first, but he said he enjoyed the “family” atmosphere of the program.

“It was powerful — I could feel the love,” Richardson said, adding that the spirit of the crowd “paralleled with the whole purpose of the Kwanzaa celebration. It was a beautiful experience.”

Kamilla Collier-Mullin, member of the Black Renaissance Movement and freshman in pre-medicine, said there were many non-African Americans who attended the celebration, and she said she believes the spirit surrounding Kwanzaa “will spread across the whole campus.”

William Handy, member of the New Beginnings Gospel Choir and part of a quartet that performed “Lean On Me,” said the whole celebration was enjoyable for him.

“It was done right, and everybody worked together and made sure it was right,” said Handy, freshman in computer science.

Other performances included:

• A rendition of “Praying Spirit,” by the New Beginnings Gospel Choir, featuring soloist Neakia Payton.
  • A spoken word rap performed by Richardson, titled “Unity.”
  • An ISU Minority Theatre performance of the West African tale “The Eagle Story,” by Joseph “Dan” Evans, Hardy Browner and Dashan Sardine, directed by Shirley Basfield Dunlap.
  • “Riverside,” a dance performed by the Renaissance Dance Company, choreographed by Chandace Richardson.
  • A performance of “Lean On Me,” performed by Darryle Bohanna, Handy, DeAndre Stallworth and Steward.
  • “Now Behold The Lamb,” performed by the choir, featuring soloists Mechelle Glover and Nicole Meek. Also, the choir sang “Jesus Is The Reason,” featuring soloists Darryle Bohanna and Anthony Davis.
  • A show of African-American art provided by Brenda Jones.
  • “The Creation,” an ISU Minority Theatre production, with James Weldon Johnson, Qiana Carswell, Evans, Donnavan Tyler and Lewis Hill.
  • A duet of “One Sweet Day,” performed by Greg Moore and Meek, with accompanist Tamara Williams.

The finale was a performance of “Sarafina,” by the New Beginnings Gospel Choir and the Renaissance Dance Company, “Freedom” and “Our Father,” featuring soloists Bohanna and Illundria Bohanna.

The candlelighters for the celebration were Harrison Barnes, Browner, Justin Weber, Samoane Waddy, Janielle Rollins, Hawa Tandia and Robin Honeyman.