Students search for the best study spots

Andrea Hauser

Final exams are approaching at an alarming speed, and students are spending a lot of their time studying. However, they don’t necessarily agree about which study areas work the best.

Each study area appeals to students for a different reason.

Stacey Beattie, freshman in psychology, said the most important aspect of her favorite study area is that it allows her to fully concentrate.

“It has to be perfectly quiet. I usually go to the church library,” she said.

Ben Rahe, junior in animal science, agreed that noise level is an important factor.

“I usually study at my apartment because I can control the distraction level,” he said.

Rahe also said it is possible for a study area to be too quiet at times.

“At the library I fall asleep,” he said.

Abbey Shaw, sophomore in agricultural business, said the library isn’t her cup of tea, either.

“I don’t like to study in the library because there are too many people, and it’s too quiet,” she said.

However, Sara Gehling, freshman in agriculture, said she likes the library.

“The library [is the best place to study] because you can find your own personal space,” she said, adding that she finds the evening to be the best time to study there.

Nancy Rens, sophomore in hotel, restaurant and institution management, also likes the library, especially the area back by the leisure books.

“It’s very secluded, and I can concentrate on what I need to do,” she said.

Emily Johnson, undeclared freshman, also said space is an important factor.

“I always study in the commons of Maple-Willow-Larch. It’s quiet, and there’s lots of spaces for people to study,” she said.

Beth McQuady, sophomore in advertising, added another item to the list of characteristics that make a good study area.

“[I like to study in] my room because I feel really comfortable here,” she said.

Nicole Hill, freshman in psychology, agreed that comfort is very important. She said she likes the Browsing Library in the Memorial Union the best.

“[I like it] because it’s really quiet in there, but it’s still in the Union, and there are people around,” she said.

Ann Hanson, sophomore in exercise sports science, also enjoys studying in the Union.

“[I like] the Colonel Pride Lounge in the Union. I like the furniture and the view. I also like the piano, even though I can’t play it,” she said.