Volleyball season ends with losses, optimism

Ron Demarse

The Cyclone volleyball team dropped each of their final four matches of the 1998 season this week to end the year on a 12-match skid with a 3-29 overall record.

Despite the disappointing numbers, players and coaches alike remain enthusiastic and optimistic about the future.

“As much as I respect our peers in the Big 12 conference, I believe there are a lot of great players out there that will be interested in Iowa State,” head coach Kerry Miller said. “It’s just a matter of time.”

Miller’s inaugural season ended with home losses to Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas and Texas A&M.

The Sooners opened the break on Nov. 20 by avenging a four-game Oct. 17 loss to the Cyclones in Norman. Oklahoma won the match in straight sets, defeating ISU 15-9, 15-4, 15-4.

Sophomore Stacy Nicks provided the lone Cyclone fireworks, hitting .417, logging seven kills and providing a then-season-high 11 digs.

The next night, Iowa State played some of their best volleyball of the season, only falling to the Jayhawks after five thrilling games.

After stealing a close first game, 15-13, the Cyclones couldn’t find any rhythm in game two and fell, 15-5.

Iowa State took the third game, 15-7 and held a commanding 7-1 lead in game four, but KU responded with a 14-6 run to tie the match at two games apiece.

The Jayhawks capitalized on the momentum swing and stole the pivotal fifth game, 15-9.

Among the Cyclone highlights of the match were a career-high 26 kills by freshman Melissa Duffield to lead all players.

Senior Virginia Hoss added 20 kills of her own, and Nicks and Nanette Allen rounded out the double-digit ISU attackers with 16 and 14 kills, respectively.

Team leader Julie McGrath tied a career-high with six service aces as the Cyclones recorded 14 as a team. McGrath also set a career-high in assists with 73, the fifth highest single-match total in Cyclone history.

Defensively, Allen’s career-high 18 digs and Nicks’ six blocks paced the team.

This past Friday, ISU continued its streak of inspired play, falling in three hard-fought games to 12th-ranked Texas, 15-8, 15-9, 15-13.

Duffield and Nicks continued to impress with solid performances against the Longhorns.

A 12-kill contribution marked the second consecutive match in which Duffield led all ISU attackers.

Nicks notched 12 digs to set a new career-high and managed eight kills. The sophomore middle blocker also recorded one solo block, which increased her season total to 30 and ranked her 10th on the all-time single-season charts.

In their final match of the season, the Cyclones faced another nationally ranked opponent, No. 18 Texas A&M.

Upset-minded Iowa State came on strong in the early going, jumping out to an early 11-5 lead and impressing friend and foe alike with clean fundamental play and inspired hitting.

Their inexperience showed in the end, however, as the Aggies built momentum off of several unforced Cyclone errors and logged eight unanswered points to move the score to 13-11 and eventually win, 15-13.

With the wind out of their sails, ISU offered little competition in the remaining games, falling 15-5, 15-5.

“They focus for one game,” Miller said, “and then we have a hard time getting them to continue to focus throughout the match.”

Miller pointed out, though, that with a year of experience and more exposure to their new system, this is one of many things that will change in the future.

Freshman Lindsay Robinson led the Cyclone offense against the Aggies with eight kills.

Nicks and Hoss were each one behind with seven.

Nicks also added three blocks, and Duffield notched nine digs to lead the defensive effort.

McGrath, playing in her final contest, managed 29 assists to give her a career total of 2,443, the third-highest career total in Iowa State history.

“I’m just grateful that I’ve been able to play here for four years and complete my eligibility and hopefully contribute to some people’s lives,” McGrath said. “We had a lot of fun players on the team this year and a lot of great moments to remember, both on the court and off.”

Hoss ended her senior season with a two-year career total of well over 500 kills and 1,400 attacks. Provided four full seasons at ISU, she would very likely have landed in the top five all-time in both categories.

“It’s been a difficult season at times, but it’s really flown by and I’ve really enjoyed it,” Hoss said. “I’m going to miss it a lot.”

The only other 1998 senior, Mandi Middleton returned after a two-year hiatus to turn in an excellent season, primarily on defense. Middleton finished the year among team leaders in both block assists and total blocks.

After the final match, Miller was sad to see her seniors leave, but was eager to continue the rebuilding process.

“A lot of the kids that were left over from this team last year were kids that didn’t have a lot of club ball experience and hadn’t competed at a national level before,” Miller said. “They also didn’t have an opportunity to play Spring ball last year, which is where we really look forward to improving the level of play.”

The players are also eager to continue learning and training better.

“I know in the spring we’re going to work really hard, and I think we’ll be much improved next year,” Nicks said. “I’m excited about our future.”

“The physical training in the Spring will be very different than what these players are used to,” Miller explained. “We’ve seen, for example, players that came to us jumping 9’6″ touching 9’9″ or even 10′ after Spring training.”

With young talent like Nicks, Allen, Robinson and Duffield returning, the Cyclones can be nothing but improved next year.

“We have a long way to go, but we’re learning fast,” Duffield explained. “Next year and in the years to come, I think we’ll be a pretty solid program.”

Iowa State also has veterans Lisa Kargus, Teri Williams and Sheila Lopez waiting in the wings. The trio of Duquesne transfers will regain their eligibility next year.

“We’ll work hard in the offseason, and I think we’ll come out strong next year,” Kargus said. “I can’t wait to play.”

Kargus added that the returning players all seem to have bought into coach Miller’s program.

“I don’t think the players could work as hard as they do for coaches they don’t believe in. I think they enjoy working with this staff, and I think they’re excited to see where they’ll be a year from now.”

The numbers Iowa State has posted this year are nothing to be impressed with, but the program seems to be on the rise, and Miller and her staff are confident that success will come.

“We look forward to improving them both physically and mentally and giving them the confidence to compete on this level,” Miller said. “It’s just going to take a lot of patience and a lot of hard work.”