Turfgrass science a growing field

Michelle Kann

Turfgrass science and management is a growing industry in horticulture, and Iowa State is helping students prepare for careers in the field.

“Turfgrass management is an option in horticulture that has been growing rapidly,” said Nick Christians, professor of horticulture.

“Generally speaking, there were more job openings [in recent years] than students to fill them,” he said.

According to the Iowa State University Bulletin of Courses and Programs, horticulture majors may choose an emphasis in general horticulture, landscape horticulture, greenhouse management, fruit production, vegetable production, nursery management, turfgrass science and management or horticultural communications and public education.

Christians said when the turfgrass science and management specialized option started in 1992, there were 36 students enrolled in the emphasis. Currently, there are 130 majors in the program.

“I recently finished a textbook called ‘Fundamentals of Turfgrass Management,'” Christians said. “It is being offered this fall for the first time.”

Christians said 90 percent of turfgrass science and management students work at golf courses. The other career options include sod production and athletic field management.

“Athletic field management is a growing field because of the convergence of natural grass fields to turf,” Christians said.

Christians also is the adviser of the ISU Turf Club, which recently became part of the Agriculture Student Council.

“The club was started three years ago for the students in the turfgrass management option,” Christians said.

Christians said the club has two meetings a month, with about 40 to 60 students attending each meeting.

“All students with the option of turfgrass management are required to attend a certain amount of meetings every year,” Christians said.

Matt DeDoncker, sophomore in horticulture with an emphasis in turfgrass and president of the club, said required meetings is a new policy this year.

“To be a full pledge member, the student must attend at least half of the meetings,” he said. “This year, we’ve had a great turnout. It’s quite easy for a student interested in turfgrass management to get involved.”

Christians said there is no fee to join the club.

“The club does a variety of activities, mostly to raise money for trips,” he said. In the past, the club has had chipping contests at golf courses and raffled off free rounds of golf.

DeDoncker said the club uses the money raised to fund trips and to get speakers to educate the members on the industry. For instance, the club is going to have a booth at the Iowa Turf Grass Show.

“This year, the club is selling windbreakers for $30 at the Iowa Turf Grass Show on Jan. 21-23,” DeDoncker said. “We’re going to have a question session for people to ask about problems with grass and diseases.”

Christians said the club does not limit itself to Iowa, however.

“Currently we are raising money for the trip to the National Golf Course Supervisors Conference held at Orlando in February,” he said.

There are 25 members from ISU going to the conference, he said.

DeDoncker said attending conferences is a great way for students to see new products and techniques in the turfgrass industry.

“This trip allows students to look for internships and job opportunities in the field of turfgrass management,” said DeDoncker, who recently received an internship at St. Andrew’s Golf Course in Scotland.

“[Internships are] a really good opportunity for students, and fun, too.” he said.