Poet to share his stories tonight

Andrea Hauser

Stories are a fundamental part of college life. They’re found in books, music and late-night conversation in residence halls. They’re also best enjoyed when told by the person who experienced them.

Iowa State students and members of the Ames community will have the chance to share that experience tonight. Gary Soto, acclaimed author and poet, will be presenting a reading of some of his work in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union at 8 p.m.

The presentation is free and open to the public.

Soto, a descendent of Mexican migrant workers, grew up in Fresno, Calif., and writes about many different subjects involving the Mexican-American experience.

Soto’s works range from poetry to novels and have received many accolades, including the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the National Book Award, said Debra Marquart, assistant professor of English.

“Something that’s unique about Soto is that he writes so many different kinds of things, and he usually reads selections from about three different books,” she said.

Marquart also said Soto’s works generally focus around conflicts people face when they try to better their positions in life. She said the subject matter is balanced by Soto’s wonderful sense of humor, which takes the edge off the sensitive issues.

Jose Amaya, assistant professor of English and Latino Studies, said he enjoys Soto’s sense of humor and his wry approach toward academia.

“[Soto is] a very eloquent poet who is able to put to words things like feelings, coming of age, relationships in families and just relationships with people in general,” he said.

Amaya said he enjoys the reality of Soto’s work.

“One aspect that I personally appreciate is that he is a poet in the classic sense, but he still appreciates the funny aspects of the human condition,” he said.

Marquart said the attendees will learn from Soto’s presentation.

“I think that listening to someone read his or her own life stories helps us to step out of our own skin; we see how someone treats a life and it gives us perspective on our own,” she said.

Soto has received two fellowships from the National Endowments for the Arts and one from the Guggenheim Foundation for his various works.

Soto’s works include “Jesse,” “Living Up the Street” and “Junior College.”

After his reading session, Soto will hold a book signing. Books can be bought from the display at the reading or brought from personal collections.

Soto’s visit is being sponsored by the Writer’s Bloc, the Committee on Lectures, Minority Student Affairs, the Diversity Steering Committee and the Departments of Human Development and Family Services, English, Sociology and Curriculum and Instruction.