One-man production inspired by Carver

Ben Godar

“Reflections In Time,” a one-man show incorporating poetry, drama and music, will be presented at The Brunnier Museum Saturday.

The production, which is being presented through the Minority Theatre Workshop, includes poems by Paul Laurence Dunbar, a monologue by August Wilson, songs by Thomas “Fats” Waller and excerpts from a one-act play by Paul Robeson.

The performance is part of the year-long celebration of George Washington Carver.

The works of Dunbar, Waller and Robeson are typically associated with the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s, although Dunbar’s poetry slightly pre-dates the others. Wilson is a contemporary playwright.

Shirley Dunlap, associate professor of performing arts and director of the Minority Theatre Workshop, is directing the piece.

She said part of the idea for it came from the P. H. Polk exhibit at The Brunnier Museum. Polk was the photographer for Tuskegee University, where Carver worked after his time at ISU.

Lynette Pohlman, director of The Brunnier Museum, said the exhibit features black and white photographs of Carver, as well as others who were students or residents at Tuskegee during a period of 60 years.

“The catalyst for the piece was the Polk exhibit: the pictures of Paul Robeson and the music of the Harlem Renaissance,” Dunlap said.

“I came up with pieces that addressed the era, if not men of the era,” she added. “I also picked pieces I liked.”

Dan Evans, a non-traditional student and sophomore in performing arts, will perform the piece.

“Shirley [Dunlap] knew that The Brunnier had an open space to do some things, she asked me if I was interested, and I said ‘yes,'” Evans said.

The piece has provided Evans with an opportunity to do the type of drama he enjoys doing.

“The reason I keep doing theater is that I want to be able to do cultural theater,” Evans said. “I think it’s important to do mainstream, as well as any other type of theater — to be diverse.”

Evans said he likes what the piece has to say about the period.

“It has the feel of that era, the tortures of the time period,” Evans explained.

“There were a lot of bad things going on, and the arts were a way they were able to bypass it. They were bad times, but it was one of the most exciting in African-American art history.”

Dunlap also said history is an important part of the piece.

“It’s a lovely afternoon of entertainment and history — or maybe entertaining history,” Dunlap said.

The entire family will enjoy the production, Dunlap said, and everyone who comes should be ready to participate.

“Reflections in Time” will be performed Saturday at 2 p.m. at The Brunnier Museum. Admission is free.