Academic Success Center offers stress relief

Michelle Kann

As the semester comes to a close and finals approach, experts advise students to start preparing early.

“I think that for good students, finals week is the best time of the semester — a time to put everything together and summarize what you have learned,” said Mary Ellen Wishart, academic adviser in health and human performance. “For those who really haven’t figured out how to study, it can be a horrible experience.”

Most students do the majority of their studying for finals during Dead Week, which can led to stress.

Angel Cordero, academic adviser in engineering, encourages students who are concerned about finals to use resources such as the Academic Success Center.

“By taking advantage of these services early in the semester, students should be able to reduce stress felt during finals week,” Cordero said.

Gwen Woodward, interim director of the Academic Success Center, said the center can help students in several ways.

“We have a variety of handouts available at the center about how to study, manage time and even how to cram well,” Woodward said.

The center also offers one-on-one counseling for students when their grades are not satisfactory, Woodward said.

When deciding how to study, Woodward said students need to figure out what works best for them.

“Specific techniques vary from student to student,” Cordero said.

Cordero said some students find studying with friends helpful.

“This way students can compare notes and help each other on some of the most difficult topics in a course,” Cordero said. “Just because you take the exam by yourself doesn’t mean that you have to study and learn by yourself.”

Some students study in groups, while others try to get away from everyone when they study.

“I isolate myself from everyone, and then I’m not tempted by my friends [and] roommates who can easily persuade me to give up studying to do things like go … for Chinese food,” said Audrey Williams, junior in journalism and mass communication.

Mitchell Kelchen, junior in community and regional planning, has a similar technique.

“I go to a very secluded place with a great view and study,” he said.

Kelchen said his studying techniques have changed during the years.

“I used to try and study in front of the television, but I wouldn’t get much done in three hours,” Kelchen said.

Wishart recommends developing a specific schedule for studying.

“Plot your schedule for Dead Week and finals week, with no more than 45 minutes blocks of time before you take a break or change subjects,” Wishart said. “If you tend to not be able to stick to a schedule, set limits on yourself with a timer or alarm of some sort.”

To avoid stress, breaks are an important part of studying, Woodward said.

“I try to spend time with friends so I can think about other things besides classes for a while,” Williams said.

Woodward said stress can take many forms.

“We see tears, students ready to quit, headaches, upset stomachs, colds and students feel worn down,” Woodward said.

Cordero said stress is perhaps one of the biggest reasons why students hate finals week.

“On the other hand, I don’t think stress should be a excuse for poor grades,” Cordero said. “Performing under stress is a fact of life.”