Students change residence

Ben Godar

For out-of-state students, gaining Iowa residency means paying in-state tuition, a considerable cushion for their checkbooks. While tempting, the process requires time and effort.

Although gaining State of Iowa residency is relatively easy, gaining recognition as a resident for tuition purposes is more difficult, said Judy Minnick, assistant registrar and residency classification officer.

In addition to obtaining an Iowa driver’s license and filing for Iowa income tax, students need to demonstrate that their primary purpose for being in Iowa is one other than education, Minnick said.

She said students who move to Iowa and enroll as full-time students are automatically considered as having educational purposes. To be considered residents, students must meet a number of criteria.

“In order for a student to show that they’re not here for educational purposes, the student must live in-state for 12 consecutive months [during which] they are not going more than half-time at any post-secondary institution,” Minnick said.

She said for Iowa State students, that translates to a maximum of six credits during fall and spring semesters and four credits during the summer.

“We also expect [prospective residents] have other reasons to be in Iowa,” Minnick said. “We expect they at least work on a part-time basis.”

Minnick said between 200 and 250 students go through the process of gaining residency each year.

She said students should consider several factors before making the decision to pursue residency.

“[Students’ decisions] should be contingent on financial and curriculum issues and how soon they want to get through [college],” Minnick said. “Certain majors make it more difficult to drop down to half-time.”

She said while some students are able to stay on track for graduation by taking classes during the summer, students in certain curricula find it almost impossible to complete their schooling in the traditional four years.

“Sometimes if there is a situation where a student can’t get financial aid, this is an avenue,” Minnick said. “But it is a sacrifice.”

Gina Pflasterer, sophomore in pre-landscape architecture from Waterloo, Ill., chose to become a resident of Iowa.

“After freshman year, I changed my major to the College of Design, and I lost an ag scholarship and couldn’t afford tuition,” Pflasterer said.

In order to meet work requirements, Pflasterer interned at Reiman Gardens and worked as a resident assistant. She also cut back her class schedule.

“While gaining residency, you can only take six credits, but I only took one class each semester,” Pflasterer said. “I only took one because [if I take] under four credits, out-of-state residents pay in-state tuition.”

Pflasterer said her situation is frustrating.

“Landscape architecture is a five-year degree, and I lost a year [while attaining residency]. Now it’ll take me six to graduate,” Pflasterer said.

Although she was forced to make some tough sacrifices, Pflasterer said gaining residency was worth the wait.

“I’m glad I did it,” Pflasterer said. “I couldn’t have stayed here otherwise.”

Students with questions about becoming Iowa residents can find the guidelines at the Registrar’s home page, as well as in the University Bulletin.