Drinking comes with consequences

Andrea Hauser

Students charged with underage possession of alcohol while living in the residence halls receive mandatory counseling, but reactions to the treatment’s effectiveness have been mixed.

The first time underage students are caught with alcohol in the residence halls, they are placed on probation and attend test screening and counseling sessions provided by the Student Counseling Services.

Jenny Miller, graduate assistant for Substance Abuse Intervention Services at the Student Services Center, said counseling services for students charged with possession involve a $5 screening inventory and one to five meetings with a substance abuse counselor.

Miller, who is a graduate student in psychology, said the counselors then evaluate the students’ drinking habits. If the counselors have any serious concerns, she said the students may have to complete some additional tests, which cost $14.

If the students are again charged with possession while still on probation, they receive a more severe sanction.

If caught a third time, students will be considered for deferred removal or be asked to leave the residence halls.

However, this does not necessarily mean that the students will be kicked out.

“It depends on the severity of the case, mainly if you establish that you can’t live with other people,” said Francis Scott, hall director of Knapp Hall.

Scott said the underage possession charge includes both holding an alcoholic beverage and having it in a residence hall room. Only students 21 years old or older are allowed to have alcohol in their rooms, and then it is limited solely to the dorm room — not the hall, the lounge or the commons.

“The reason that these policies are here are to help the students,” Scott said.

Miller said she thinks the policies serve their purpose well.

“For every 10 people that come through the residence halls, we’re catching at least one person whose drinking is problematic,” she said. “These are individuals we may have never seen if they hadn’t been referred by the residence halls.”

But Miller’s positive view of the mandatory counseling is not shared by all students living in the residence halls.

“I think some people see it just as part of the process, not necessarily something to help them out,” said Tara Gentry, junior in Spanish.

Abby Hansen, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, agreed that the counseling is not beneficial for everyone.

“I think [the counseling] doesn’t work,” she said. “It’s stupid — just because they go to counseling doesn’t mean they’re going to stop [drinking].”

Scott Huston, freshman in advertising, offered a different perspective.

“I’m not so sure the counseling will help, but the fact that we have it will remind students that underage drinking is illegal [and] that there will be consequences to their actions,” he said.