Recital hall dedicated for Tye

Michelle Kann

The Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall, located in Iowa State’s Music Hall, was officially dedicated Sunday.

The recital hall was named for the late Marshalltown woman, whose $1.1 million gift contributed to the ISU Foundation’s “Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best.”

The dedication included a concert featuring the University Chorus and the Iowa State Singers. ISU President Martin Jischke also addressed the crowd.

Other guests at the dedication included ISU Foundation President Tom Mitchell and Sue Haug, head of the music department.

Haug said the dedication was a positive experience.

“Some special guests, mostly Tye’s family members, were there to officially present the gift,” Haug said.

She said after the dedication, the music department held a show-and-tell of the multimedia equipment used in teaching music appreciation.

Haug said there are two parts to the $1.1 million gift to the ISU Foundation’s “Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best.” The first part is a scholarship program for students majoring in music or the performing arts.

“The scholarships are based on merit, and we currently have two students on the Tye scholarship,” Haug said.

Haug said she hopes the number of students who receive the Tye scholarship increases in the next few years.

Johannes Robbins, sophomore in music performance, expressed his gratitude about receiving the scholarship.

“This scholarship has helped me tremendously,” Robbins said.

He said the gift is great for ISU students because it improves the arts program, which encourages students to explore that option.

The second part of the donation was used to renovate Music Hall.

“All the renovation is complete now,” Haug said. “Most of it was done in December and January last year.”

Some of the work also was done in the summer so it would not conflict with classes, Haug said.

Robbins said he appreciates the remodeling.

“The renovations are great, especially the recording studio,” he said.

The third part of the donation will fund the Martha-Ellen Tye Performing Arts Institute, which is coordinated by the Iowa State Center.

According to a press release, the program would support education and outreach programs in the performing arts.

“The idea is to bring high school students to Iowa State and see the multi-media equipment here,” Haug said.