Published professors’ works bring prestige to the English department

Arlene Birt

Research articles are not the only materials published by members of the Iowa State community — literature of a more creative nature also is produced by faculty members.

Secretary Janet Tryon said an average of four professors from the English department have been published each year. She said the published works include poems, essays, books and anthologies.

“Part of your job [as a professor] is to do research,” said Mary Swander, professor of English.

Swander said publishing creative work falls under the research category, which, for professors, often can be tied to raises and tenure.

“Publishing helps them get their promotions,” Tryon said.

She said having work printed also sets an example for students.

“[Professors] are here as role models for the students, so as a role model, you should be actively engaged in the field yourself,” she said.

Tryon said this kind of participation also can be a good opportunity to enhance the department’s national image and prestige.

“It is very important to have [professors] be published,” Tryon said. “It’s prestige for the department, and it’s good for recruiting students.”

Publishing also is a way for a writer to get his or her work into the hands of the public.

“I think everyone who writes wants to have an audience, wants to be read,” said Neal Bowers, distinguished professor of English. “Just knowing that people are reading your work is great gratification.”

Swander said writing allows professors to express their ideas and become involved in professional writing.

“At the core, I am writer, and that is one of the reasons I think I was put on the planet was to fulfill that vocation,” Swander said.

Though other teachers may use her literature in their classes, Swander said she does not feel it would be right to use any of her published works in her own classes.

“It would be kind of egotistical,” Swander said.

Bowers agreed that he would not teach from books he authored.

“I don’t think it would be reasonable for me to [use my materials in class],” Bowers said. “It puts my students at a disadvantage; they feel that they have to like it. It would be a conflict of interest.”

He said adding writing to professors’ responsibilities forces them to create their own time to write.

“If you’re going to be a writer, you’re going to have to make the time,” Bowers said.

But Bowers said the results are worth the effort.

“You get a sort of affirmation in your work,” he said.