Offensive line heart of Cyclone team

Ron Demarse

Arguably the most difficult position on the football field belongs to the offensive lineman.

Few, however, will argue that the line isn’t among the most important components of a team’s success.

And no one will deny the fact that the big guys up front are the most under-appreciated bunch in the stadium.

Each time the Cyclone offense takes the field, their success lies squarely in the hands of five bruisers who open holes for their rushers and defend their quarterback at any cost, regardless of the lack of glory it brings them.

So far this season, despite a number of setbacks, the Cyclone front five have opened the door for the offense to perform. A team can’t ask for much more from their offense than the 28.6 points per game Iowa State has been putting on the board.

“We’re ahead of where we were at this time last year,” junior tackle Bill Marsau said, “but we still have a long ways to go to reach our potential.”

Marsau is one of the anchors of the Cyclone line, starting at left tackle. Despite being 6-foot-6, 296 pounds, the Hudson, Iowa, native doesn’t fit the “ignorant thug” mold. Bill was a 1997 first-team All-Big 12 academic honoree, maintaining an impressive GPA in his pre-veterinary major.

In fact, the line boasts a number of intelligent individuals, including four Big 12 Conference Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll students.

Another of those honorees, senior center Charley Bogwill, is one of two returning starters on the line. The Morris, Ill., native stepped in last year and started at center for most of the season, often playing through injuries.

The other returning starter on the offensive line is sophomore right tackle Ben Beaudet. Weighing in at over 300 pounds, Beaudet protects quarterback Todd Bandhauer from opposing defensive ends and outside linebackers and seals the end for tailback Darren Davis.

The other interior linemen are senior Eugene Bernal of Sylmar, Cal., and sophomore Ben Bruns of Denver, Iowa, both guards.

Bernal brings a great deal of experience to the line after extensive junior college playing time and limited exposure as a Cyclone last season.

Bruns also saw limited action last season, but is stepping up his performance this year due to a career-ending injury sustained by the emotional leader of the line, junior Marc Cortez.

Sophomore Josh Rank and freshmen Cory Hannen and Marcel Howard round out the heart of the Cyclone line.

So far this year, the line has demonstrated marked improvement but isn’t happy with their run-blocking performance.

“Against Iowa and Ball State, I think our line did a good job of knocking people off the line,” Marsau said. “In the games we’ve lost, though, we didn’t do a good job of run-blocking. We know we’re capable of getting the job done — we just have to do it consistently every week.”

Marsau and his linemates recognize that as Davis goes, so go the Cyclones.

“We know that running the ball is the key for our offense to be successful this year,” Marsau pointed out.

With 652 yards, Davis is still the fifth-leading rusher in the nation, but Marsau isn’t satisfied.

“We’ve made a lot of progress so far this year, but we’re still a long way from where we need to be.”

One area where the Cyclones have no room for improvement is in their pass blocking.

In 1997, the Cyclones surrendered an embarrassing 42 sacks.

“We had some problems in that area last year,” Bogwill said. “At times, it seemed like we were opening the floodgates on Bandy, but this year we’ve improved.”

Bogwill couldn’t have understated the situation any more.

Iowa State quarterback Todd Bandhauer hasn’t gone down once in 1998.

You heard right. The Cyclones have played five games so far this year and have not surrendered a single quarterback sack, a feat unheard of in football at any level.

“We know we have one of the best quarterbacks in the Big 12,” Marsau said, “and to allow him to be effective, we have to give him time to throw the ball.”

Bogwill was also quick to point out how important the line is in setting the tempo of the football game.

“A lot of times, the offensive line is the dictator of how the game’s going to go,” Charley said. “If the receivers are seeing the offensive linemen blocking their butts off, they’re going to run a little faster and the backs are going to try a little harder.”

Marsau made it clear that the line knows they can improve in some areas, but they aren’t intimidated by anyone.

“It’s pretty much our attitude,” Marsau said. “We know we can block anyone. We just have to come out ready to play and get the job done.”