Campustown starts its own tradition with extravaganza

Kristin Guiter

In accordance with this year’s Homecoming theme, “Tradition with a Vision,” the Iowa State Campustown merchants are beginning a new tradition at ISU, said Kathy Svec, co-chairwoman of the Campustown Action Association and marketing director of the Memorial Union.

The merchants will be involved in a new Homecoming event called the Campustown Extravaganza — a day meant to motivate ISU students to get involved in activities and to gain the spirit of Homecoming, Svec said.

“Each of the merchants were invited to participate by providing students with specials and discounts,” Svec said.

Throughout the day Friday, numerous stores will be running specials and sales before the Homecoming parade, which begins at 6:15 p.m., Svec said.

Business hours are determined by the individual stores.

One of the specials offered is based on the Homecoming button, Svec said.

She said students can wear the buttons to stores in order to get an extra discount.

“Stores participating in the Homecoming button deal are Coe’s Campus Flowers, Dairy Queen, Da Vinci’s Pizza and Hoagies, Do Biz Bakery, People’s Bar and Grill and the Pizza Kitchens,” Svec said.

Buttons can be purchased for $1 at the Homecoming booth on the ground floor of the Memorial Union and at the Alumni Association Office on the first floor of the Memorial Union, Svec said.

The Campustown Extravaganza is organized by the Campustown Action Association and is co-chaired by Svec and Diane Riedemann.

The co-chairs had a goal to involve Campustown merchants in Homecoming, Svec said.

She said she hopes to get more businesses involved next year.

“Although this is the first year for the Extravaganza, we hope it will continue to grow into a Homecoming tradition at Iowa State through the upcoming years,” Svec said.

“We hope that people will stick around after the Extravaganza to watch the parade,” she added.