Victory lane brightens fans’ walk to stadium

Melissa Berg

Students gathered to participate in the painting of Victory Lane as a part of Homecoming week Sunday, Oct. 4.

Victory Lane is located north of Jack Trice Stadium. The drive was white-washed and then sectioned into four-by-four squares.

Sororities, fraternities, dorm floors and other organizations decorated the squares to fit in with the Homecoming theme.

“There were between 1,000 and 1,500 participating in Victory Lane throughout the day,” said Dave Critchlow, adviser of the Student Alumni Association.

Adam Roti, sophomore in finance and sponsorship co-chair, said the painting of Victory Lane is “a different kind of event.”

“[The painted blocks] advertise the clubs [that painted them] as people walk towards the game,” he said. “It’s a neat way to say “we do exist” besides the other activities on campus.”

Roti said there were 60 squares painted.

“We were pleased with that amount because of [poor] weather conditions [on Sunday],” he said.

Robin Lange, junior in agricultural business, helped decorate a square with her sorority, Delta Delta Delta, 302 Ash Ave.

“There were about the same number of people participating in the event this year as last year,” Lange said.

Roti said pizza, pop and subs were served to the participants.

“Godfathers Pizza, Subway and Pepsi were very generous major sponsors of the event,” he said. “Iowa Paint donated most of the paint and contributed to paint brushes, [and] the Beeper People donated radios for communication between Homecoming committee members during the activities.”

A panel of judges from the Homecoming Committee judged the squares painted by each group. The results are to be announced Friday evening.

Alpha Gamma Rho, 201 Gray Ave., Tau Kappa Epsilon, 224 Ash Ave., Alpha Tau Omega, 2122 Lincoln Way, and Pi Beta Phi, 208 Ash Ave., are some of the other greek houses involved with Victory Lane. Roti said between 15 and 20 residence hall floors also participated.