Jiles elected Fellow

Melissa Berg

David C. Jiles, Iowa State professor of electrical and computer engineering and materials science and engineering, was recently elected Fellow of the Institute of Math and its Applications, located in Essex, England.

Jiles was nominated by his colleagues, Professor Whitehead of England’s University of Hull and Professor Palmer of England’s University of Warwick, for his work on computer modeling of magnetic materials.

“[Jiles] is most famous for his model of magnetic hysteresis called the Jiles Hatherton Model,” said John Snyder, associate scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory. “It shows how the magnetization depends on the applied magnetic field of materials.”

Jiles said he has been working on mathematical modeling of magnetic materials for the last 20 years.

“‘Introduction to Magnetism’ and ‘Magnetic Materials and Introduction to Electrical Properties of Materials’ are the two textbooks I published which are used at Iowa State,” Jiles said.

Jiles received his doctorate of philosophy from the University of Hull and his doctorate of science from the University of Birmingham, England. According to a press release, he has degrees in mathematics and physics from the University of Exeter, England.

Jiles has been a professor at ISU since 1990. He also is a visiting professor at the University of the Saarland in Germany.

“He holds appointments in a lot of other areas,” Snyder said. “He is a senior physicist at Ames Laboratory and senior scientist at the Center for Nondestructive Evaluation.”

Jiles was one of the major organizers of the American Physical Society’s Topical Group on Magnetism and its Applications, a nationwide professional society.

He also is a group leader for the ISU magnetics research group based in the Ames Laboratory.

“The group works with projects related to nondestructive evaluation of materials, magnetic sensors for automotive applications, magnetic thin films for disc-drive heads, permanent magnets and other projects,” Snyder said.

He said the research work is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation, grants from private companies and other sources. The group has a budget of about $1 million.