FaithWorks builds dreams

Michelle Kann

Students interested in exploring volunteer opportunities that enrich their faith can check out more than 25 different options at FaithWorks.

FaithWorks is today from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Lori Adams, member of Campus Ministers Association, said different missionary opportunities from the Midwest will be represented with booths at FaithWorks.

“Volunteer opportunities in the United States and throughout the world will be there,” said John Donaghy, St. Thomas Aquinas Church campus minister.

“A large number of students are looking for ways to volunteer from a faith perspective, and this is an alternative to the Peace Corps,” Donaghy said.

Adams said the FaithWorks organizations are Christian orientated.

By volunteering with Christian organizations, students also obtain support for their spiritual development, Donaghy said.

Adams said students can volunteer for two weeks or even a whole year.

“These organizations may give students long-term options, too,” Adams said.

Donaghy said this a way for students to enrich themselves and share what they have learned with people who are different than themselves.

“Students should volunteer because there is more to life, than study and play,” Donaghy said. “Students should see this as a way to put their faith in action.”

Adams encourages students to volunteer now.

“College is an unique time to do some exploring in what you believe in. You have no pressures from a full-time job or family of your own,” Adams said.

Volunteering puts students out of their comfort zone and gives them a chance to grow and discover more about themselves, Adams said.

“Students should come check out FaithWorks because it gives them the chance to dream,” Adams said.

The Campus Ministers Association got the idea to have FaithWorks by attending a conference in Urbana, Ill., Adams said.

“FaithWorks will also have a panel discussion with three students that have volunteered in the past,” Adams said.

Alayna Williamson, who volunteered through Navigators, Alienor Gilchrist, who was involved in the Catholic Home Missions, and Dennis Fulkerson, who was involved with Campus Crusade for Christ, will talk about their experiences.

The Gospel Soul Innovators, a singing group from the Body of Christ Christian (BCC) Worship Center, will sing at 12:20 p.m.

Adams said most of the volunteer organizations are located both nationally and internationally.

FaithWorks is sponsored by the Campus Ministers Association.