Culver stands ready to protect

Jennifer Spencer

Protecting and promoting the nation’s democratic system are the main reasons Democrat Chet Culver is pursuing the office of secretary of state, he said.

“The secretary of state is the commissioner of elections,” 32-year-old Culver said. “A healthy democracy in my mind is when you have a majority of the people voting and participating.”

Culver, who spent the last four years as a high school government and history teacher, said educating voters about the political process will be the most effective way to increase voter turnout.

Culver said he is especially interested in registering 18- to 24-year-old voters because that age bracket currently has the lowest voter turnout.

During his campaign, Culver said he has been registering voters across the state, including students at Simpson College, Grinnell College, Central College and the University of Iowa. He said he plans to visit Iowa State in mid-October.

One of his proposals to raise turnout at the polls among college-age voters is implementation of the Iowa Student Political Awareness Club (ISPAC). Culver said the college division of the organization will help students lobby for change.

“If there’s no student group writing [public officials] letters or going to the capital, they’re not going to do anything for that group,” Culver said. “There’s currently no political non-partisan group where you can work collectively with your peers to get things from your public officials.”

Student governments lobby to the Board of Regents and other state agencies, but Culver said ISPAC would facilitate more coordinated cooperation.

“I think that you need to become an organized group statewide with thousands and thousands of members,” he said. “With technology and with willing participants from the different colleges and universities, we can make it happen.”

Culver said his background as an educator and being a first-time candidate sets him apart from Republican opponent John Gilliland, who currently is deputy secretary.

“I think it’s an advantage not being currently in state government,” he said. “I think voters like it when an outsider runs.

“They know I’m committed to young people, and I’m committed to this goal of getting more young people involved,” Culver said.