‘X’ classes popular with faculty

Michelle Kann

Experimental classes can be found in the Iowa State course catalog like any other class — but with a letter “X” behind the course number.

Hector Avalos, associate professor of philosophy and religious studies, said if professors or faculty members see a need for a new class, they can make a proposal and submit it to the university.

Avalos said a proposal includes a description, the title, the number of contact hours, the grading system and most importantly, the reason for the proposal.

Usually the new course is offered twice at the experimental level before it goes up for approval by the College Curriculum Committee, Avalos said. He said the class then needs to be approved by the Faculty Senate Curriculum Committee.

The Faculty Senate Curriculum Committee discusses many different issues, Avalos said.

The committee has the option to reject the proposal, but the majority of classes that reach this level are accepted.

The final step in getting the class permanently added to the curriculum is to have the proposal approved by the Board of Regents. This involves fitting the course into the ISU catalog system of numbers and giving the course an official title.

“The proposals can be for more than just a certain class,” said Zora Zimmerman, member of the Liberal Arts and Science College Curriculum Committee. “They may be workshops, internships and study abroad programs.”

One example of how an experimental course can grow into a whole program is LAS 210X — “Introduction to Latino Studies,” offered for the first time in the spring of 1994. Avalos was the professor who worked to build this department.

“Introduction to Latino Studies is one of the most successful experimental courses at Iowa State University,” Avalos said. “It launched an entire program which is now thriving.”

Similar courses are following the exact same path all over campus. In the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 30 to 50 experimental courses are offered each semester, Zimmerman said.

This spring, an experimental course, LAS 325X — Asia: A Study of Culture and History, will be offered for the first time. Zimmerman said this program could become a major in the future.

However, several problems can arise with experimental courses. Zimmerman said the university adds about 30 new courses to the catalog each year but drops few existing classes.

“That is an issue that will have to be addressed in the future,” Zimmerman said. She said the committees will need to eliminate other courses that are not meeting the needs of students and faculty.

Zimmerman said students can check out experimental classes on ISU’s Web page or obtain a list from their academic advisers.

“Experimental courses add a lot of excitement to each department,” she said.