Freshman serves up great gyros

Ben Godar

John Giunta is an important person in the Ames community. He’s not the mayor. He’s not a professor. He’s not even a police officer. Giunta is a “gyro guy.”

Giunta, freshman in pre-aerospace engineering, has been working at the gyro stand at the corner of Welch Avenue and Chamberlain Street for about six months.

He is one of six people employed by Smiles Inc. to staff the wagon into the wee hours of the morning.

Serving gyros and hot dogs is not just Giunta’s job — it’s his pleasure.

“I love this job,” Giunta said. “I love the fame, the prestige, and there’s beautiful women everywhere.”

Giunta said something interesting happens every night he is out. Although he didn’t have a favorite story, Giunta did mention that the evening a woman showed him her two nipple rings was a high point.

Business at the gyro stand is at its peak between 1 and 2:30 a.m., Giunta said. He said he stays out until everyone has gone home, usually between 2:30 and 3 a.m.

Giunta said that although most of his customers are the bar crowd, alcohol doesn’t affect business at the gyro stand.

“Alcohol is the reason people are out,” Giunta said, “but hunger is what brings them here.”

Hunger played a major role with one customer. Giunta said he once served one man five gyros in an evening. He said he has a special appreciation for people who come back consistently.

“To the people who come religiously, I’d like to say thank you,” Giunta said.

One Iowa State student who’s been a consistent customer of the gyro stand is Josh Bryner, senior in math and performing arts.

“I’ve been a regular customer of the gyro man for probably a couple of years now,” Bryner said. “It’s pretty much guaranteed when I go out to the bars, I hit the gyro stand.”

For Bryner, the gyro man takes on an importance beyond that of a food vender.

“The gyro man is my salvation after a long night at the bar,” Bryner said. “He’s a drunk man’s mecca. At least this drunk man’s mecca.”

Giunta encouraged anyone who has not already visited the wagon to stop by.

“If people have never tried these, take a little time out of your night and come by,” Giunta said. “I guarantee you’ll be happy you did.”