Volleyball team ready to play

Ron Demarse

The 1998 Cyclone women’s volleyball team has completed a long period of training and practice and is eager to see the season begin.

First-year head coach Kerry Miller’s squad has begun to gel and fit into her new system of play.

Miller is enthusiastic about the team and the beginning of the season this weekend at the Alaska-Fairbanks Tournament.

“The team is doing great,” Miller said.

“When you speed up the offense like we have, there is more room for error, so we were a little frustrated at first. But now, the team’s beginning to come together and understand what we’re doing,” he said.

The change of pace Miller alluded to is part of a revamping process she and the rest of her staff have implemented this season in the Cyclone game plan.

“In the past, the offense was primarily ‘high-ball,'” Miller explained. “From now on, we’ll be setting the ball a lot lower and, therefore, running the offense a lot faster. We’re looking to utilize our quickness and beat the block with speed.”

Miller explains that this change is permanent and is not linked to a Cyclone squad lacking in height.

Only sophomores Stacy Nicks and Ashley Grundmann, at 6-3 and 6-2 respectively, stand over six feet tall.

“This is a system we’ve found that works,” Miller said. “We’d be running the offense this way even if we had a lot of big people up front.”

The primary returners to the ISU squad this season are senior middle blocker Virginia Hoss and a trio of setters, senior Julie McGrath, sophomore Sara Walters and junior Sarah Pieper.

McGrath and Pieper both registered huge assist totals last season, McGrath with the Cyclones and Pieper with Illinois Central Community College.

McGrath, one of the emotional leaders of the team, had 1,094 assists in 33 matches. Pieper managed 1,603 in 60 contests.

Both are quick to explain that competing for the starting nod has been much more fun than fury.

“Sure, we’re in competition,” McGrath said, “but we both want the best player out there. Whoever will help us win.”

“It’s not really competition,” Pieper said, “so much as it is learning from each other. There’s a great team aspect at work here, and we just get better by playing together.”

Pieper has been happy so far with her move to Iowa and to the Cyclone team.

“The campus is beautiful, and the team has been very fun to get to know. The coaches get us focused right away and teach us a lot about self-motivation.

They really believe in us.”

McGrath has seen her way around the low expectations surrounding the team and is just excited to be back for another year.

“I’m just here for the love of the game,” McGrath explained. “There’s a lot of excitement on this team. We’re having fun, we’re getting closer, and hopefully we can win some matches, too.”

Hoss, the only returner with triple-digit kills (197), has been doing well in practice and brings much-needed leadership to a young, inexperienced team.

Only three players on last year’s squad had more kills than Hoss, who also ranked second on the team in blocks.

Joining Hoss on the attack this season will be Walters, last year’s second-leading setter. Walters trailed only McGrath with her assist total of 211, but this year she’ll fill the outside hitter position.

“It’s a difficult transition and it’s going to take some time, but I’m ready to learn,” Walters said. “Whatever it takes to help the team.”

Another player that has stepped up during practice is Nicks, a 6-3 sophomore.

Nicks managed 70 kills last season in primarily a reserve role. Coach Miller is expecting a lot from her this year.

“Stacy’s been looking great in practice,” Miller said. “She’s catching on to the system, and she’s been improving daily.”

Redshirt freshmen Nanette Allen, Melissa Duffield, Lindsay Robinson and Tanisha Woods will also be called upon to contribute this year after good showings in the first two weeks of practice.

As Walters explains, the ’98 Cyclones are a true team in every sense of the word.

“Overall, we’re pretty well-rounded. There are no stars on this team. We’re just all going to do our best and work together, and good things will happen.”

Miller is confident going into tournament play and even the tough Big 12 schedule that lies ahead.

“We’re young and we don’t have a lot of experience, but if we can stay in our system, we can be a tough team,” Miller said.

“I really feel we can be competitive.”