ACLU strives to protect rights

Arlene Birt

A new group has emerged on campus with the intention of keeping an eye on Iowa State justice and liberty issues.

American Civil Liberties Union campus groups are designed for college students who want to get involved in protecting the rights of fellow students.

“Some things on campus needed a watch-dog group to pay attention to what the authorities are up to,” said Ben Byrne, club president and junior in graphic design.

ACLU is a national, nonprofit organization financed by private sources with affiliates in all 50 states and regional offices in Atlanta and Denver. The purpose of the organization is to protect individual rights and preserve the Bill of Rights, according to its Web site.

The state affiliates are involved in litigation, legislation and public education. Student groups at universities are one of the affiliate’s attempts at educating the public, and in Iowa, ISU and the University of Iowa both have ACLU chapters.

Though the university groups do not take cases or legal proceedings, they do bring issues of injustice to the attention of students.

“The mission of ACLU [campus groups] is to make students aware of issues that are going on within the campus, such as deprivation of free speech and the entanglement of religion,” said Marty Ryan, assistant director of ACLU’s Iowa affiliate.

The campus organization, which is limited to students, is not required to adhere to national guidelines as strictly as the state affiliates, but it does have the affiliate’s guidance.

“The ACLU is dedicated to many of the same ideals as a great university: free expression, open mindedness and democracy,” said Barbara Mack, volunteer lawyer for the Iowa branch of ACLU and professor of journalism and mass communication.

“I think the ACLU will be a great addition to ISU,” she said.

Byrne said his interest in starting ACLU at ISU came last spring after hearing about situations that he thought had questionable constitutionality.

“I thought there was a need to get people involved on campus and to be more aware of what’s going on around them,” Byrne said.

He said the club will raise awareness through letter writing, hosting guest speakers and participating in education seminars.

Though the group has held only two meetings with 14 participants so far, bi-weekly meetings on Thursdays are being planned with more students who signed up during ClubFest. There is not yet a permanent time or meeting place.

“Anyone can join that believes in the principles that our rights need to be protected,” Ryan said.

To become a member of the National Student Membership Board, a $10 fee is required. However, a student does not have to become a member to participate in the club.

For more information, contact Ben Byrne at 268-8873.