Incredible, edible breakfast in Reiman Gardens

Melissa Berg

An Omelet Breakfast is among the many Family Weekend events planned for this weekend.

The breakfast will be held at the Reiman Gardens, located south of Jack Trice Stadium, this Sunday from 10 a.m. to noon.

The cost of the event is $4 for adults, $3 for children ages 10 and under and $3 for Iowa State student alumni members.

Rolls and juice also will be served with the omelets.

“This is the first year for the omelet breakfast,” said Dave Critchlow, assistant director of student programs. “Last year, we held a pancake breakfast. We had an attendance of 356 adults and eight children.”

Critchlow said he expects the attendance to be relatively the same this year.

The event is organized by the Family Weekend Committee of the Student Alumni Association, and it is funded by the Student Alumni Association. The Iowa Egg Council also is sponsoring the breakfast by supplying the eggs that will be used for the omelets.

“We decided to have omelets this year rather than pancakes because not everyone likes pancakes,” Critchlow said. “Eggs seem to be the perfect food and a good change of pace for our event.”

The omelets will be prepared by members of the Family Weekend Committee, he said.

The special event co-chairs involved in this event are Chad Rieck, junior in agricultural studies, and Wes Gray, sophomore in exercise sports science.

“Last year, I worked at a college reception, and I really enjoyed being involved, so I decided to get involved with special events this year,” Rieck said.

Matt VaSlotel, freshman in agronomy, said he plans to attend the breakfast with his family.

“It’s a great time to be able to sit down with the family and have a good breakfast,” he said.