Zachary promoted to assistant dean

Arlene Birt

The recent promotion of Iowa State’s Loren Zachary, from professor of aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics to engineering assistant dean, puts a full agenda ahead of him.

As assistant dean, Zachary will primarily focus on three responsibilities: working on programs to recruit women and minorities into engineering fields and retain a higher percentage of students; working to get more students into international engineering programs and reorganize assessment for ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accreditation tests; and continuing to teach part-time.

Zachary said these responsibilities will allow him to accomplish his goals.

“I want us to be the best in undergraduate engineering education in the United States,” he said.

Named assistant dean Aug. 1, Zachary replaced Howard Shapiro, who accepted the position of vice provost for undergraduate programs.

“The primary factor [behind Zachary’s appointment to the position] was the breadth of his experience across all areas of undergraduate study,” said David Holger, assistant dean for academic programs and budgets.

Zachary has been a professor at ISU since 1976. He has co-written a book titled “Mechanics and Materials” and a chapter in an engineering handbook.

Zachary has received the Anna Lydia Pate Mentoring Award, the Legislative Excellence in Teaching Award and the Society for Experimental Mechanics M.M. Frocht “Educator of the Year” award.

He also is a six-time recipient of the Engineering Student Council’s Outstanding Professor in Engineering Science award, reflecting his commitment to his students.

“I think he brings one of the strongest feelings of empathy with students I have ever seen,” Holger said. “He seems to relate really well to students; he has genuine concern for their well-being.”

Zachary hopes to see a larger percentage of women in the College of Engineering, a higher national profile and an increase in the number of students involved in international study in the next five years of his term as assistant dean.