Eustachy and staff have proven track record

Josh Flickinger

Everyone knows that the Iowa State Athletic Department reacted to the resignation of Tim Floyd very quickly, waiting only a week to hire Utah State head coach Larry Eustachy.

However, not everyone realizes that Eustachy then followed suit. Within only a couple of weeks, he hired three coaches to assist him in his efforts in Ames. The three coaches have a diverse background that should help, not only in working with the players now at Iowa State, but with recruiting as well.

The first hire by Eustachy was Leonard Perry, who had coached with him at Utah State. Perry, interestingly enough, was a senior at Idaho when Eustachy was hired, and so the two have been linked for quite a while now.

Perry, 30, is the youngest of the assistants and, consequently, the least experienced.

The other two assistants that were hired by Eustachy bring many different qualities to the table.

The second man behind Perry was Terry Carroll, a two time National Junior College Coach of the Year at Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa. Eustachy was obviously elated about hiring the highly regarded coach.

“We’re thrilled to have Terry on board,” Eustachy said. “To get someone of his talent, ability and character to join our staff is exciting. As an Ames native and a successful junior college coach at Indian Hills, Terry has deep ties throughout the state of Iowa and Midwest, areas that will be the core of our recruiting efforts. I think Terry will complement our coaching philosophy quite well.”

Carroll, 43, compiled an amazing 269-50 record at Indian Hills in his nine seasons there, including back-to-back national junior college titles in 1997 and 1998.

He comes to Iowa State with a decent streak that he hopes to continue. Under his direction, the Warriors won a National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) record 72 consecutive games, including a 38-0 mark last year.

He has won the NJCAA National Coach of the Year the past two seasons, and was a NJCAA District Coach of the Year in 1993, 1996, 1997 and 1998.

His coaching career began at Fort Dodge High School, where he was hired in 1981 at age 26. He coached Fort Dodge for three seasons before he was recognized by the collegiate ranks.

He was an assistant coach under Gary Garner at Drake from 1984-1988, where he concentrated mostly on recruiting. He then went back to high school for one year, piloting the Ottumwa High School squad in 1988-89 before accepting the head coaching position at Indian Hills.

Carroll is not a stranger to this area. He graduated from Ames High in 1973, and was named first team all-state after leading the Little Cyclones to the state championship. He went on to have a solid career at Northern Iowa, including being named captain his senior year.

The third and final new assistant is not at all new to Larry Eustachy. Steve Barnes has spent six of his last eight years on Eustachy’s coaching staffs at Utah State and Idaho. He served as the associate head coach at Utah State from 1996-1998, helping the Aggies to a pair of Big West Conference titles and a 1998 NCAA Tournament birth.

Barnes, who was also at Utah State in the 1993-1994 season, left for two years to become an assistant at Division 2 perennial power Cal State Bakersfield. Eustachy was excited to get his coach back.

“We are very fortunate to have Steve with us at Iowa State,” said Eustachy. “Steve has been an integral part of our success in the past, and we are looking forward to having him here in Ames. I think the continuity we have on our coaching staff will work to our favor at ISU.”

Barnes, 41, was the key figure in bringing in Division 2 Player of the Year Kebu Stewart, who was instrumental in the turnaround of the Utah State program. He was also looking forward to coming to Ames.

“I’ve always wanted to coach at the highest level, and now I have that opportunity,” Barnes said. “My friendship and respect for Larry and Leonard Perry were key factors in my decision to join them here at Iowa State. We are a proven team. I’ve known Terry Carroll for some time, and his presence adds to my excitement about what we can accomplish here at ISU.”

Barnes had also coached on Eustachy’s staff at Idaho for five years. Barnes and Eustachy have known each other since high school, where they were teammates at Arcadia (Calif.) High School.

Barnes also has head coaching experience, leading Capistrano Valley Christian (Calif.) High School in 1984.

Together, Barnes, Carroll and Perry combine a good combination of youth, experience and continuity which should lend very well to a successful 1998-1999 campaign.