Faculty art is on display

Ben Godar

Artwork created by faculty of Iowa State’s College of Design is currently on display at the Brunnier Art Museum.

The exhibition, which runs through Oct. 25, will showcase the work of 42 faculty members from the departments of architecture, art and design, community and regional planning and landscape architecture.

Mark C. Engelbrecht, dean of design, said he is confident everyone will find something to enjoy at the exhibit.

“Anyone who shows up will be attracted to something,” Engelbrecht said. “The longer I’ve spent [at the exhibit], I’ve just been taken by a number of pieces.”

John Cunnally, associate professor of design, said one of the greatest strengths of the show is the variety.

“There is a wide variety of work [on display], both in terms of medium and style,” Cunnally said. “[The exhibit] contains everything under the rubric of design. It is a nice display of faculty work really aimed at the public.”

Amy O’Brien, education assistant for the museum, said she thinks this exhibition provides a unique opportunity for ISU students.

“I think this is a great opportunity for students to see the artwork that the faculty produces,” O’Brien said. “I think it’s exciting to see what professors do other than teach.”

In addition to the pieces on display, the exhibition features a series of lectures by ISU faculty and internationally recognized sculptor Albert Paley.

Several of the faculty members who have work on display are also giving lectures related to their work. Engelbrecht said the lectures will be of interest to people inside, as well as outside the College of Design.

“Anyone with any interest at all in art or the environment will find [the Paley lecture] worth an hour,” Engelbrecht said.

The faculty exhibition has been held biennially since 1968. For the first 10 years, the exhibit was held in a temporary building behind Beardshear Hall before being moved to the Brunnier Art Museum in 1978.

“This year’s exhibit has additional significance because it is the 20th anniversary of the College of Design,” Engelbrecht said. “This one has special poignancy.”

Engelbrecht said there are several other events going on throughout the year in conjunction with the 20th anniversary, including a major addition to the Design Building and visiting exhibitors from three major universities and China.

The exhibit will be on display at the Brunnier Art Museum, on the top floor of the Scheman building. The museum is open Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. It also is open Thursday nights from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The exhibit is free of charge.