Students bank on ATMs

Ben Godar

Students new to Iowa State face a number of choices, among them the decision about which bank to use.

According to representatives of several campus-area banks, August and September are a busy time for new accounts. Marty Swanson, human resource manager for the ISU Credit Union, estimates that around 50 percent of new accounts at the business are opened during those two months.

Axel Bull, graduate student in computer engineering from Norway, selected Brenton Bank when he came to Ames three years ago.

“Three years ago they had just opened a new branch; there were good offers, [including] a credit card deal and a good interest rate,” Bull said. He added that Brenton is a “friendly bank.”

For Brandon Miller, junior in computer science and longtime Ames resident, the decision to use Midlands Bank had already been made.

“I’ve always had an account there, since I was a kid,” Miller said. Miller said he continues to bank there because “they haven’t screwed me yet.”

Not all students even use a local bank. Many students find it convenient to stay with a hometown bank while in school.

Justin Fritz, senior in mechanical engineering, banks at the National Guard Credit Union in Des Moines. For Frit,z convenience is a primary concern.

“I travel a lot, and I can use the [Automatic Teller Machine] anywhere,” Fritz said.

Students who do bank in Ames can find many options.

Swanson said ISU Credit Union’s most popular student checking account offers no minimum balance and no service charge. The credit union also has the contract for ATM machines on campus. There is, however, a limit of 15 debits per month on other banks’ ATM machines.

“[We have] 18 ATM machines throughout the city, seven on campus. Any time a client uses our machines there is no charge and no limit on their transactions,” Swanson said.

Swanson feels students bank at the credit union for other reasons.

“We were sponsored by ISU when we were started,” she said. “I think our connection with ISU is important. [Also] we’re a credit union, not a bank. Any profits we make are returned to our members through lower fees, higher interest rates or better technology.”

The ISU Credit Union is not the only place interested in students’ banking. Jeff Klein, assistant cashier at the First National Bank university office estimates that over 50 percent of the clients who come through the lobby on a given day are students.

According to Klein, the most popular checking package among students offers unlimited checking and ATM transactions and no fees as long as a $100 balance is maintained. First National also offers an option of using the debit card as a credit card.

Klein said location also plays a large part in the number of students who choose the bank.

“We have an ideal location, [in close] proximity to Campus Bookstore and the Memorial Union,” he said. “Students can take care of their banking on the way to or from class.

“We’re making strides to make things more convenient for students. In the future, we’ll have more options available for students,” Klein said.

First National offers a special package during orientation to try to draw students. Students are offered no ATM fee for the first year and free checks.