Judge proposes to fire Iowa State professor

Michelle Murken

The administrative judge in the sexual harassment hearing of Michael Simonson issued a proposed decision earlier this week that Simonson be dismissed from his position as professor of curriculum and instruction at Iowa State.

“Administrative Judge Donald W. Bohlken’s proposed decision indicates that Dr. Simonson did engage in sexual harassment, among other things,” said Paul Tanaka, director of university legal services. “The proposed decision is that he would be dismissed.”

Tanaka stressed that it was a “proposed” decision and that it could be reviewed at the request of the parties. He said the decision would also be reviewed by ISU President Martin Jischke.

Simonson declined comment on the actual ruling, but said, “We are continuing to believe that the accusations made against me are false.

“My family and friends and colleagues are supporting me,” he said.

Simonson was accused by the university of sexual harassment, creating a hostile environment, violating university policy and offensive conduct. The accusations followed complaints of sexual harassment from female graduate students and an ISU alumna.

After being placed on administrative leave with pay in mid-February 1997 for alleged sexual harassment, Simonson sued the university, charging that he was denied due-process rights by being dismissed without a hearing. A judge ruled in his favor on May 9, 1997, and ordered the university to return him to his responsibilities pending a hearing.

The administrative hearings began in mid-December 1997. Testimonies were delayed three weeks because of ISU’s semester break, and concluded in January 1998.

Tanaka said a final decision will be made by the university administration after it is determined “whether or not there is an appeal and how long that appeal will take.”

“There is a process through which this must go,” Tanaka said.