Students gear up for diving in the Bahamas

Abby Snyder

Some members of the Iowa State community will be blowing off steam after finals by heading to the Bahamas.

A team of 31 scuba divers, including ISU students, faculty and Ames residents will be spending the week of May 9-15 on two 69-foot sailboats in the Bahamas’ waters.

Jerry Symons, assistant professor of health and human performance and the ISU diving coach, is in charge of this year’s trip. He said it is one of many different scuba tours he has conducted over the past 34 years.

Symons has been certified through the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) and through the National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI). He also is the instructor for a class at the Ames Parks and Recreation.

Some team members hope to become certified in scuba diving before the end of the trip, which requires four open water dives, Symons said.

Michael Vermeer, certified teaching assistant for the scuba diving class and member of the team, said he is anxious for the trip.

“I hope to have a really great time. This trip is my vacation for the summer before work starts,” Vermeer said.

The scuba diving team will depart from Miami on May 9.

The scuba diving tours are conducted every May and during spring break.

Last year’s team experienced a shark dive, where it spotted a manta ray and sighted three whale pods.

Alicia Melendez, junior in biology, said she attained her advanced diver certification in the Bahamas last year.

She said she plans to help others become certified in the Bahamas this May.

“Last year’s trip was amazing. It was the time of my life,” Melendez said.

She added that she was able to dive four times a day and observed sharks, manta rays, whales and dolphins.

The cost of the entire trip is $689 and includes meals and diving. Although the tours are open to everyone, students must pass the ISU scuba diving course to travel on the tours.

Melendez said the course, Physical Education 109, adequately prepared her for the trip.

“I felt very comfortable and relaxed by the time the trip came around,” she said. “The crew is incredible.”

The class meets Wednesdays and Fridays from 8 to 10 a.m., and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon at the Beyer Hall swimming pool.

Symons said he encourages students to check out both the class and the Bahamas trip.

“It is a very exciting and adventuresome trip,” he said.