Celebration of cultures to be found over Veishea

Michelle Murken

The Cultural Festival and International Food Fair will share the food, dance and dress of many cultures.

“It’s a great chance to broaden [your] knowledge of other countries and cultures,” said Kara Swanson, Cultural Festival co-chairwoman.

The Cultural Festival is part of Veishea Village and will be held under a tent on central campus Saturday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Displays of 14 clubs and organizations will represent their countries, and several groups will also be performing on the Cultural Stage.

The Cultural Stage will feature several different skits, dances and performances, each lasting about one half-hour.

Mock battles will be fought between “knights” from the Society for Creative Anachronism.

The society will also feature a performance by a fire-eater.

The Hapkido Club will be doing demonstrations, and there will be Korean traditional dance.

Scottish Country Dancers will also be performing a dance routine.

“It’s kind of like the Riverdance — fast-moving and fast-paced,” said Jeremy Kass, Cultural Festival co-chairman.

Swanson said in order to encourage kids to attend and participate in the event, the Freshman Council will be distributing “passports.”

Kids who get their passports signed at all the booths can receive a globe or Beanie Babies.

“It’s a chance to see different cultures without traveling outside the U.S. [People can] experience the world and different cultures all in one place,” Kass said.

People can also experience the cuisine of other cultures at the International Food Fair in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

According to Swanson, the food fair was originally scheduled a week earlier, but organizers thought the two events would complement each other well.

Swanson said the Association of Malaysian Students, Japanese Association and the Brazilian/Portuguese Association are just some of the groups offering samples of their native foods.

She said the events will be “a great chance for people to broaden their knowledge of other countries and cultures.”

The cost of the International Food Fair is $2 for individuals or $5 for families.

All proceeds from the event will go to the Asian Student Fund to help Asian students affected by economic problems in their home countries.