ISU students ‘In the Running’ now

Jennifer Spencer

Iowa State students and community members will be running through campus during Veishea weekend.

Christopher Stafford, co-chairman of the “In the Running” 5K race and sophomore in architecture, said the committee hopes to have 200 participants in the walk/run at 10 a.m. on Sunday.

The race route begins at the Memorial Union, tracks past Lake Laverne, heads north on Bissel Road and then west on Pammel Drive. Runners will land back on campus near the Physical Plant and the loop through campus, back to the finish line at the Memorial Union.

Jan Eivins, In the Running co-chairwoman and junior in dietetics, said the committee decided to make In the Running a walk/run this year in order to attract more entrants.

“We made it into a walk so we’d have more participation,” Eivins said. “I think my grandma may even be doing it.”

Last year’s event included two running events — one 5K and one 10K. This year all participants will follow the same 5K route, whether walking or running.

Stafford said In the Running was snowed out last year when it was scheduled on the weekend before Veishea, but he thinks this year’s race on Veishea weekend will draw more participation.

“We switched to Veishea weekend to get more alumni support,” Stafford said.

Eivins said the registrations received to date are split evenly between Iowa State students and community members.

Stafford said they targeted students and running clubs in Ames.

“We’d really like to see a lot of students,” Eivins said.

All participants will receive a Veishea T-shirt and be eligible for door prizes throughout the day. Eivins said food and beverages will be provided for the runners and walkers after the race.

Ames radio station KCCQ will lead the running competitors, broadcasting live from the front of the race, Stafford said.

Stafford said prizes will be awarded to the top three male and female finishers in each of the four age groups of 19 and under, 20-29, 30-45 and 46 and over. The winner of each race receives a certificate to Sports Page and a tournament champion T-shirt.

Race registration is $10 in advance and $12 on the day of the event, Stafford said.

Eivins said In the Running would be a fun part of the dry Veishea celebration.

“It gives everyone a thing to do other than consume alcohol,” she said. “It’s a fun thing to do, also.”