Hundreds attend funeral for student Tim Widmer

Carrie Tett

Tim Widmer was remembered by more than 600 people at his funeral Monday. But for those who knew and loved him, it was a service to celebrate his life rather than dwell on his death.

Widmer, 20, sophomore in pre-business and member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, died Friday afternoon in a car-motorcycle accident.

According to Ames Police, Widmer’s motorcycle collided with a car driven by Michael Przytarski, junior in finance, in the 100-block of Lynn Avenue. It is not yet known how the accident occurred, but officials said it is still under investigation.

The funeral was held near Widmer’s hometown of Iowa City, at Grace Community Church, east of North Liberty.

“The funeral was a graduation party,” said Tom Widmer, Tim’s father. “It was not a typical funeral. We celebrated Tim’s [life].”

“It was very nice,” said Dee Belts, Phi Kappa Psi housemom. “There were good memories; there were some laughs. They were celebrating his life.”

Tom Widmer said Tim Widmer loved Iowa State and was a dedicated student who worked full time at Hy-Vee Food Store, 3800 W. Lincoln Way.

“He liked money, and he liked motorcycles,” he said. “He had an avid love for motorcycles.”

Tom Widmer said his son first became acquainted with motorcycles when he was 15 months old when he rode on them with his father.

But Tim Widmer’s love for motorcycles resulted in some close calls.

Tom Widmer said his son had a motorcycle accident last summer in which he came close to being killed. At that time, he said they discussed the possibility of him dying.

“We reaffirmed it at the time that if he had died, we know where he would have gone,” Tom Widmer said, adding that the family is strong in their religious beliefs and believe their son is now in heaven.

“I know where my son’s at,” he said.

The impact Tim Widmer had on people was evident by the number of people who spoke about his life. Tom and wife Glenda Widmer’s eulogy was about the pain of losing their son, Belts said.

“Some of the kids were emotional as they talked about him,” she said.

Although the funeral was sad, Tom Widmer said it was a festive occasion.

“We’re going to miss him a whole lot,” he said. “I’m going to go be with him some day.”

Tabitha Widmer, 17, Tim Widmer’s younger sister, looked up to her older brother.

“She is the typical little sister,” Tom Widmer said of his daughter. “She thought the world of her brother.”

Tom Widmer said he also is pleased with the way Iowa State has handled Tim’s death.

“I have been overjoyed with the response from the university,” Widmer said.

Tom Widmer said he regrets not getting to know his son’s other family, his brothers of Phi Kappa Psi, better. He said he plans to sit down and share stories about his son with the fraternity members after a Sunday memorial service at ISU.

The time and location for the fraternity’s memorial service have yet to be determined.

“Tim fell in love with Iowa State and with the fraternity,” Tom Widmer said. “He really enjoyed the social aspect.”

Tom Widmer, who is a captain on the Iowa City Police Department, heard of his son’s accident shortly after it happened.

After co-workers contacted the Widmers’ pastor, he said he was told of his son’s death.

“They handled it very well,” he said.

Glenda Widmer was in Ankeny at the time of the accident. Tom Widmer said he requested his son’s name be withheld until he could personally tell her when she returned home.

“Tim should be remembered as a person of integrity,” he said. “What you saw was what you got.”

Tom Widmer said his son had compassion for people and did what he said he was going to do.

“He was the most honest person I’ve known in my life, and I had the pleasure of being his father,” he said.

“It’s going to be hard for his mother and I. He was my only son; he was my life,” Tom Widmer said. “It hurts so much to lose him, but I’m thankful for the 20 years I had with him.”

Widmer also said he wants Przytarski to know he does not blame him for his son’s death.

“My heart goes out so much for this young man who pulled out in front of my son,” he said. “I want to tell him it’s OK. It was an accident; it was God’s plan.”

For students who are having trouble coping with Tim Widmer’s death, the student counseling staff is offering support.

“All of our counselors are able to see any students affected by this death on a walk-in basis,” said Suzanne Zilber, staff psychologist for Student Support Services.

This free service is available Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., on the third floor of the Student Services Building.