Smoke-free M-Shop not favored by students

Katie Goldsmith

A proposal to make the Maintenance Shop a smoke-free atmosphere is not sitting well with some students.

“The M-Shop should remain a smoking environment,” said Andrea Deming, freshman in animal science, during an open forum Thursday afternoon in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

The forum, held by the Memorial Union board of directors, allowed student input before the board discusses changes regarding the M-Shop, which is located in the basement of the Memorial Union.

Modifications include banning smoking in the establishment and changing the food menu and entertainment.

Deming brought to the meeting a petition with 171 signatures in support of keeping the M-shop a smoking environment.

A representative of the workers in the Memorial Union also brought a petition to either ban smoking in the M-Shop or to keep the doors of the shop closed.

James Huss, vice president of the Memorial Union board of directors, said specific changes to the M-Shop have not been determined. He said the issues of concern include the cost of the M-Shop and ensuring that it serves all ISU students.

According to Huss, the M-Shop loses about $46,000 per year in entertainment costs and $4,000 per year on the cost of food.

Mary Jo Mertens, managing director of the board, said the board cannot explain why the M-Shop is losing money.

She said many of the functions at the M-Shop make no profit at all.

Brendan Greiner, advertising director for the M-Shop, said the M-Shop might be losing money because people are not aware of it.

Not only is the advertising budget limited, but he said he also is not allowed to advertise that the M-Shop is a venue for all ages.

Dave Newton, director of the M-Shop, said funding from student fees allows it to lose some money and lower ticket prices to an affordable price.

Huss said the issue is whether it is fair to all students to subsidize the M-Shop or if the money should be applied to another aspect of the Union.

ISU students currently donate $1.3 million to support the Memorial Union.

To clarify rumors, Neelika Perveira, president of the Student Union Board, said closing the M-Shop or turning it into office space has not been discussed.

Perveira said the board has been changing many aspects of the Memorial Union, in addition to the M-Shop.

The M-Shop provides a service to a unique brand of students, said Tyler Uetz, senior bartender at the M-Shop.

“The M-Shop is a place for students who are not of age to see students who are of age drinking responsibly,” he said. “The M-Shop is a family, and that family needs to stay; that tradition needs to stay,” he said.

Anyone who was not able to attend the forum can write the Memorial Union board of directors in care of the Director’s Office, Iowa State Memorial Union, or e-mail comments to [email protected] .